Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Motherhood

Motherhood has been the most challenging role I've ever had to play. Nevertheless, most rewarding. I have a three year old boy and he gives me a reason to wake up every morning. I also have another boy on the way and to be honest I don't know how I will manage but I know I will survive.

The whole process starts when you first realize that you are pregnant. The morning sickness, moodiness, weight gain, distended abdomen, huge breasts... the list is endless depending on the woman. I enjoyed my first pregnancy, not so much second time around. I realized during my first pregnancy that there is a lot I did not know or wasn't prepared for during birth. I had requested epidural so most of the pain was numbed. But the pain that I had for the first few hours of labor was unbearable. The fact that I had four male professionals (doctors and nurses) and two nurses just staring at private part for several hours was a little irritating.

But as soon as my son was born everything else didn't matter. He was placed on my chest as I requested. I still remember as if it was yesterday, he was strange,wet, warm and I had an overwhelmingly unconditional love for him. From then on the rest was history.

The midnight feedings were crazy. What's crazier is that my husband was losing his hearing or at least conveniently. Didn't see that one coming since he's had experience with babies before with his older kids. Somehow I learned that was part of being mother. I ended up doing most of domestic chores and held a part time job. So I know that when the my second son comes I will be doing most of the raising. I guess as long as I don't work that works for me.

If I was to do it again, I would still wait to have children. I know that with children, there's no such thing as perfect time but it helps to be stable both financially and in relationship for the child and the parents.

Iman

1 comment:

  1. Motherhood is definitely a very hard job. But at the same time, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I didn't realize the love you could feel for another human being that you meet for the first time. An instant unconditional love that transcends everything you THOUGHT love was before. For me motherhood came as a huge surprise. At first I was overwhelmed when I found out I was pregnant because the "father" was uncooperative. But once I came to terms w/it, I sensed a warm calm (best way I can describe it). The father is not at all involved and at first I was hurt that he wasn't making extreme efforts to see my son, but in the end I know he will be the one losing out the most.

    ReplyDelete