Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Race and inequality...

Being a white female in the united states is a sort of privilege compared to other Countries. Most people who i have worked for have always looked at me as too feminine to lift heavy objects or to work certain machinery. Just because i am a female, does not mean i cant lift heavy things, its just that i may need help doing it. I am perfectly capable of doing many things that men can do. I work on the side for a handy man company along side my boyfriend, and i learn many things from working with men. I dont believe that any woman should be looked at as "just a woman" and all we do is cook and clean. I also go out snow plowing to make extra money...my roommate's father wanted to know why her twelve year old son couldn't go out snow plowing, and why a girl should go. I was very insulted when he said a twelve year old could shovel three or four feet of snow instead of a twenty year old woman. Also, Racial discrimination is a huge issue i hate to face, but have to face everyday. I believe that there is no such thing as race, i think of everyone as equal. In Florida, the schools are pretty much divided, no physically but emotionally and racially. Kids stay in their own racial groups, they divide themselves from any type of racial groups. When i moved to Maryland, everything is flip-flopped. Everyone is friends with everyone, and racial groups are not as pronounced. I dont believe in different races, i think of everyone the same which is how i was raised. I dont like to associate with racists because its no ones fault that they are a certain race, instead they should be proud of their race and heritage.

1 comment:

  1. I moved to U.S about five and a half years ago. I was naturalized about two months ago. I have dual citizenship but originally I am from Ethiopia with roots from yemen and Turkey. Its been a little confusing coming to a world where race playes a major role in both a micro and macrosociological level.
    Nevertheless since I moved here,I can't say I have experienced racism personally. If anything I have enjoyed being treated special just because I stood out, (facial features and my accent) and female.
    Honesttly I don't see anything wrong with being treated special(at work) by a male just because I am a female. It takes us back to the time when the man was a strong warriors and the women were or acted like they needed rescuing.
    I've never taken the act of favors (at work)too seriously but I know I have experienced lots special favors with no strings attached just because I am a female, non white and they think I am attractive.
    From my five and half years of experience here in the U.S. and my culture too, I think race and looks, and impressions governs how people treat you especially during first few minutes of meeting you and may be later.
    So you may not be getting a hand at work because you are a capable individual, but on the other hand I may be enjoying the favors and allowing them to shower me with favors. What the heck, if it makes them happy so am I!

    ReplyDelete