Monday, December 6, 2010

i love the way you talk

For as long as I can remember I’ve had an obsession with languages and accents. I love all the different ways people manipulate their mouths while speaking a specific languages. I love all the dialect of any certain language. But mostly, I love how 2 people can be speaking the exact same language but sound completely different. I can speak 3 different languages so I guess that’s where my appreciation of all these comes from. I’ve heard just about every accent there is when some speaks English. I’ve heard country girls with accent so thick that when they said corn it sounded like cone. I’ve heard French girls speaking English 2, they talk like they’re speaking French but English words are coming out. They don’t understand that they have to change the way they move their tongues in their mouths in order to pronounce al the words correctly. British girls might have the best accent there is. They all sound so cute and I don’t know what is it about their accents but they be getting me. The only thing that might come close to a British accent is a Jamaican accent. My girl friend Jamaica and she got an accent for days. I’ve been with her for over a year and still sometimes I be like what? What are you saying? So they speak patwa (Jamaican Creole) over there but all of them can also speak Standard English cuz they have to speak it in school. But its still crazy when they speak standard English, off the bad you’ll notice they don’t use “h” or “th”. How sounds like ow and them and the sounds like dem and da. I think it’s tough though. I spent my last 2 summers in Jamaica so I understand how they talk and I can even talk to like them. But I still find it incredible that based on where you live even if you speak the same language you’re almost guaranteed to sound different. Like you got the New York accent, the southern accent, the Cali accent and the New England accent. And if you want to keep it local you got the dc accent and the Baltimore accent.

1 comment:

  1. im so jealous! i never learned how to speak a different language. my patience is so short that i have yet to give it chance.
    one thing i feel that has always been in the way is the fact that i have a lisp. Its so hard for me to properly pronounce basic english words. i doubt if i will ever be able to speak english with an accent or a complete different language.fo the time being i love my voice. It sounds like im straight form howard county and i love it. Sometimes i wish i could speak normally like regular people but i have grown to embrace my original accent! lol

    ReplyDelete