Monday, December 6, 2010

Waste of money


Imagine you're fresh out of high school, attending either a community college or a university, and you have just picked your major, then you realize you have to take classes and pay for books that you don't even need. For instance, I am a Sports Medicine & Kinesiology major, but when I picked my major, I didn't expect to have to pay for so many unneeded classes. When the hell am I ever going to use what I learned in History class, or Humanities Through the Arts class in the real world?

Not only are college's ripping us off for the cost of the classes (Upwards of $400-500 dollars a class), but they are wasting our time and hard earned money for the books as well. Not everyone is living the dream and just has cash they can pull out of their ass. Half the people who go to college are paying for it out of their own pocket, and it aint cheap.

I think we need to be taking classes that will relate to our major, and help us with our careers after college. For instance, in my situation, taking a class about Sports Nutrition and Exercise fitness would be better for me than a speech class, or a psychology class. I just don't understand why the curriculum has to include classes that we will probably never even use again in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I agree with you. I used to think that the reason we took miscellaneous college courses was to achieve a well rounded education. But I keep hearing about how often tuition is getting raised and by how much. It seems like tuition goes up substantially every couple of years. Now, I'm beginning to think that college is no longer about separating the wheat from the chaff with your brain, but separating them with your wallet.

    ReplyDelete