Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Conformity

Conformity- doing what everyone else does...
This is true, almost everyone does this. we do what others do, so we do not look stupid, or we dont know what were talking about. Its much easier to point the finger at someone else and blame them, for something they did as well. i find it easier to write a paper, after i see what others are doing and what direction they take it in. my perspective is almost always off when i do assignments, so i need help with what i do. doing what other do just makes it easier for me to see what it is im supposed to do, but also, if they are wrong so am i. as far as conformity in society, such as wearing what the girl next to me wears, i dont think i follow this. i wear what i feel is comfterble, and what i think looks nice. i dont think fashon has a way into my wallet, its just too expensive. i gave up on having what everyone else has because it is just too much most of the time. i dont believe conformity is a big deal, i disagree with people when they say, "OMG this person is TOTALLY copying me" i say that is untrue, and that anyone will do what they please. conformity is a way for people to blame each other for mistakes, and i do fall into thoes who are conformists because i dont want to take control of my actions or the things i do, at least for now.

1 comment:

  1. Peer pressure has a powerful effect on us as human beings in every stage of our life. I think that teens need to feel independent and therefore create their own values, language, and norms to live by. Teens share these beliefs with each other. The needs of teens to conform to these standards come from an inner feeling of wanting to belong.
    Peer influences aren’t all bad. It is comforting to face challenges of growing up with friends who are going through the same thing. Peers allow us to find friendships and share experiences. They can serve as positive examples, many times when they are on sports teams and are goal oriented. Peers can be loyal and help you build positive qualities. They can give you feedback and advice about both fun and serious topics. They allow you to develop social skills and present new experiences to you.
    The kind of peer pressure that you are talking about is negative peer pressure. From the clothes you wear to the activities you get into on Friday night, sometimes peers can encourage negative behaviors. We all have to get through it. My plan of action to deal with peer pressure was to always be true to myself and listen to my gut feeling. If I felt uncomfortable, such as at a party that was getting too crazy, I would leave. There was always at least 2 or 3 others who had a curfew or wanted to leave the party, so I’d offer them a ride. I was always open with my Mom and told her I’d be at a party where there was underage drinking. She appreciated that I could hang out with people while not partaking in their bad choices. By giving me this freedom in high school, I knew how to limit myself with the multitudes of freedom I had in college. I definitely appreciated her trust and open communication. I didn’t feel like I missed out on any group activities in high school and I still got good grades.
    While it seems like parents have no control over the situation, I believe that adults still have a lot to offer teenagers. Even if teens seem like they aren’t listening, they are definitely watching their parents’ actions. The non-verbal messages parents send when they come home from work on time, are responsible and make healthy choices can have a powerful impact on teens. I think the most powerful thing my mom did to set a good example was have a family dinner every night. By just talking about our days, whether problems or successes, helped me sort through some of my issues as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete