Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Prenatal Diagnostic Testing Debate

BLOG #4

Recently I was reading for Human Development and I found a section on Prenatal Diagnostic Tests to be very thought provoking and interesting. It is a woman’s choice to do prenatal testing and with advances in medicine and technology, there are a number of tests that can indicate if a fetus is developing normally. At 10-12 weeks, chorionic villus sampling can be used to detect genetic defects and chromosomal abnormalities such as Cystic Fibrosis, Spina bifida, Down Syndrome and Tay-Sachs disease. Also, between 15-18 weeks amniocentesis is a procedure that can test for chromosomal or metabolic disorders. Both of these procedures allow mothers to detect the presence of birth defects which may seem like a good thing but it concerns me greatly. With so many ways to determine information about your baby before he or she is born, it worries me that women will choose to abort babies who may have or be prone to diseases. While I am pro-choice, I am fully against this as a reason to have an abortion.
My opinion comes from a long history of volunteering and working with those with disabilities. As a special education educator, I have seen the progress made by my students each and every day. While they may not be on grade level with their reading and writing, they live happy lives and accomplish things such as learning how to cook, use computers, form sentences, ask questions and socialize. Just because they aren’t living a life that will end as a big time bank director or an engineer doesn’t mean that they won’t have a life full of success and accomplishments. When I volunteered with special education students in high school, I saw them go to their work sites like the grocery store and clothing stores. Some of them worked harder bagging groceries or hanging clothes than their normal co-workers who didn’t even care about their work ethic.
If a woman makes the choice to become a mother, it should not come with “only ifs”. “Only if” my child is a perfect size, shape, color, and has the perfect IQ will I keep the baby. Motherhood is a role that involves sacrifice and unending love. People may go to the extreme of finding out the gender, hair color, or predicted height and weight and have an abortion. While natural selection has lead us to be who we are today, I don’t think it is good for society if people select what kind of baby lives or dies. The uniqueness of appearance and skills may be compromised.
Some may argue that people have an abortion because it is hard on family relationships to have such a needy child. There are increased rates of divorce and family problems. To them I would say that there are a lot of hard things in life. Death of family members, fires, loss of jobs, debt, and social problems all taint the idea of a perfect life. If couples can get through these issues using their trust and belief in the strength their relationship, why can’t they have a child who may not be absolutely perfect? While it may be more work, it is work that is well worth it. My students who have disabilities are the funniest most compassionate and caring children in the school.
Everybody is different and no one is perfect; it’s as simple as that. For mothers to use information about their baby’s genetic make up to decide whether they are going to have the baby or not simply defeats the purpose of that statement. People with genetic diseases such as Down Syndrome and Mental Retardation do have long and happy lives. I personally think they spice up the world and teach us to appreciate the simple things in life.

7 comments:

  1. I have to say it is a topic that I thought writing about since I went through it twice. There is so much tests done on mother's health and also baby's dna through the mother. When they asked me if I wanted the tests I said yes signed the consent forms and they drew countless test tubes of blood from me. I know technology allows us now a days to know things a head of time, It made me wonder whether I wanted to know whether my child was going to normal and healthy or a sick one.
    The first time I saw the silhouette on the sonogram, I fell in love. I cried coz the weird looking creature was going to look like a baby by the time he came out. And in the mean time I was his sole protector.
    To tell you the truth, I didn't want to know the results to all those tests just in case s'thing was wrong with him. My heart would break. Every parent deserves a healthy child and I pray for all that don't. As Amanda said it is a alot of work as it is to raise any child, imagine one that needs you more.
    I was very stressed the entire first and second trimester about the tests and ultra sound tests. Doc made a mistake and thought one of my test was +ve and later realized the lab work was done wrong. That drove me up the wall. To the professionals it is just a test to me it was a life changing thing. In those few seconds all sorts of thoughts and emotions were going on in my head. Aborting an unhealthy child is a very disturbing thought. It may be a quick fix solution but it will surely be a lifetime of haunting memory. I will not judge but it is a painful thing to carry out and live with as a mother.
    Now that I did all the tests and they came out good, it does feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic. I can see both sides of this but ultimately side with you Amanda. Like you say, you don’t have to be a big time lawyer or engineer to impact the world in a positive way. I have not had the pleasure of working with people who have special needs but have had many enlightening encounters. Whenever I have met with someone with special needs I have always been humbled and came away with more appreciation for humanity. We also need to remember that they are members of families and what impact they make individually on their families. If we were to stop them from coming into this world we would ultimately starve society of such wonderful people and the benefits they bring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very tough topic. I see both sides to this and definately do not agree that the tests should be used as a marker for wheater to abort an unhealthy fetus, but if there are clear results that show that a child will be severly disabled I don't think we can judge the parents for aborting in that case. I can't imagine that's an easy decision for anyone in

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. Any child, healthy or disabled should be allowed to live. As a christian, I believe children are gifts from God. For this reason we should accept whatever gift God gives us.
    In the Bible (Sorry if this is offending for some people), Jesus was asked by someone, whose fault it was that a certain man was crippled, was it due to the parents' sins or the man's sins? Jesus answered and said, some of this things happen for the Glory of God, in other words that we may know God is there.
    A disabled child should be allowed to live just as a normal child. It is definately expensive, time consuming, and challenging for the parents, but with God's grace it is posssible to raise such a child
    Personally knowing before hand if a baby will have disabilities before he/she is born might be a way of preparing the parents psychologically before the baby comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know a woman who has a child who has autism, and she does not provide the attention she needs. she gets medical attention, but no one talks to her. it is very upsetting that they could have such a nice daughter, even if she is disabled, and not spend time with her. shes a human too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This topic should be discussed very often with pregnant women’s. Even though it is harsh topic to discuss with physicians but at the end it worth it. I have a co-worker whom turned her 40 couple weeks just before she gave birth her second child. As she told me when she was highly recommended by her gynecologists to have the test done on her first trimester however, she refused to get the test done. Sadly she found out her baby daughter was born with Down syndrome which she never thought it will happen. Since that day she rerates not getting the test done. Her life has totally changed she even having more difficult time to deal with the situation. This could be solved if she had the test done early on. It is very sad to see this kind of mistake to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe your topic is very important for women. More education on the importance is needed for people.This will help reduce the problems

    ReplyDelete