Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder...

This past week we spent a lot of time on the negative views of women in comparison to men. The word that kept popping up on the women's side was sex object. Granted that being a sex object is demeaning and overlooks the intelligence and competence of women, sexiness however is not a negative attribute to me. Now most people when they hear the word sexy, probaby think of a scantily clad women w/her breast hanging out and legs all exposed. Does sexiness have to portrayed that way? Ok hear me out for a second, my definition of sexy would be a women who is confident enough to know her beauty and not be scared to "hide it" because she's worried about what other people will think of her. Now there's a difference between wearing a super revealing outfit for the sole purpose of getting attention to wearing a form fitting outfit because you happen to be comfortable in your own skin. The latter reveals a sense of power in one self that I think confident and confident = sexy where as the preivous girl probably has a low self esteem and looks for acceptance through the attention of turning heads. Now that's looking at this at a very one dimentional superficial level. Take another example, a women in a position of power at a male dominated profession, she's cool, confident, self-assured; to me this is sexy. I guess society has taken this word and thrown so many negative connotations w/it that it seems taboo to think of it as a positive thing, but I see sexy as a compliment when given at the right moments.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that a woman who is cool, confident and self-assured can also been seen as sexy. But not in the same way as a woman, even if self-confident, is sexy wearing a form fitting dress that she is comfortable in. There is an attractiveness or a sexiness in strength and confidence, but that form of it doesn't mesh well in the professional world when that strong, confident woman starts wearing tight, revealing clothes. It is giving the wrong impression and even though it might not be intentional, it is detracting from her as a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that sexy is being confident. I think it's the way the person wears the outfit that gives the word " sexy" or not. Sexy is a personality to me. I believe that alot of the way people are treated depends on how well the present themselves, and how confident they are. Why is it usually negative when a woman dresses nice and is gorgeous? Is this something that should make women look like they can be hit on and stepped all over, or should this be something that is respected? I love to dress nice, especially for my hostessing job. But there have been many times when I have been talked to disrespectfully by men. I think there needs to be more understanding, that not every girl who dresses sexy is looking for negative attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in order for sexy to appear in a woman, she has to wear the appropriate outfit for her body at the right occassion. Confidence, intelligence and charm are part of being sexy.

    I for one make sure that I wear things that flatter my body knowing I have flaws just like most of us. I believe I would always feel sexy regardless of whether I look sexy or not. Its all my head

    I never thought I would look sexy and beautiful as a pregnant woman at 165lbs with 38 inch waist but I was wrong. I felt beautiful and purposeful and most important of all peaceful mind, body and spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like women that dress according to the occassion and for that matter dress appropriately. Just like the title of this blog says, sexiness is in the eyes of the beholder, it is very true though we can all see when a woman dresses just for the attention or to look good.
    I have one example, When I go to church I always dress decently, I can never go to church dressed in tight fitting jeans with a t-shirt. I always feel every outfit as it place and what is more how it fits. Women that dress decently, carry themselves with dignity, with some level of coolness and confidence are sexy in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think sexy is a compliment as well, but should only be used in the bed room or in appropriate situations. your boss should not call you sexy, but maybe your husband or wife is okay. sexual attention should be kept at home or in the right tims.

    ReplyDelete