Friday, October 21, 2011

Parent-Teen (child) Relationship


Does the title “mom” or “dad” entitle that individual to do and/or say anything to their child/children without any retaliation from them? Does the title “child” give that individual the right to be entitled to a continued education, certain clothes, etc.? Of course there exist certain actions and things to be said from a parent that should definitely go uncontested. For example, a mom and/or dad should enforce that their child does their homework or clean their room. And of course a child should be given clothes by their parent[s] and receive food from them as well. But what about the large gray area that surrounds parent-child relationships. For example, should a child who is between 16-19 and is living with their parents still, working, and going to school have to pay for certain things in the house? Should a parent be able to enforce a specific amount of money from their child every month for food, cable, internet or rent and have it go uncontested? Should a child be entitled to certain clothes because they are their child, or should this be based off of merit? Meaning, should I receive clothes from my favorite clothing line versus whatever my mom chooses to give me because I am her son and therefore deserve it; or should I have to “earn” them in her eyes. Just because a child turns 18, should a parent stop providing necessities and freedoms for that child?

This topic intrigues me because though our society in general is diverse, our class specifically is very diverse- infused with different cultures, ethnicities, ages and (more relatable to the topic at hand) parents and children- therefore there should be a multitude of opinions. Personally I do not believe a child should have to pay for certain things in the house. I do not think that it should be mandated that just because they are working a child should have to pay for the cable bill, the electric bill or rent in general- as long as they are doing “what they are supposed to be doing” (going to school, working, staying out of trouble, etc.). That being said, I believe that if a child would want to have a car, he/she should pay their own insurance and gas. Children at a reasonable age, deemed by their parent[s], should pay for their own extended freedoms, like cell phones for example. In addition I, unlike many other children, believe that you should earn certain privileges, like specific clothes or the ability to avoid paying for their insurance, cell phone bill, etc. by getting good grades, showing respect at home and consistently staying out of the way trouble. What should be the basis of a parent-child relationship?

3 comments:

  1. It’s a real problem. Last week I started giving my daughter money for cleaning her room. She is only seven, I give only one dollar a week. I want her to learn to be responsible and learn that she needs to do something to get money. But I am not sure what I will do when she will be 16. I am sure that she will want designer clothes and shoes, because her friends in school will wear brand. And I don’t know if I will have money to buy brands. But I think that if she wants to have brand things, she can work in summer and save some money and buy anything she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real problem? yes,hard to solve? no. Here is the deal. "Children" ages 16 - 19 are not really children anymore. That means that they should start learning how hard it is to get the things our parents once gave us. I believe that teenagers should be held responsible for paying certain things around the house, because they are using everything in it and it didnt cost them a penny. Yes, they go to school, keep out of trouble, and respect their parents ( not really ) but that is for their own good. It is not going to benefit their parents or brothers but them. If they want a car, a cell phone or brand clothes they could pay that on their own while going to school and being "good kids". This is not only teaching them to be responsible and independent but also it is prepearing them for the real world awaiting ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that children who are between 16-19 should be responsible for certain things. Since they are still in high school or freshman in college, they might not be able to leave parents on their own. However, I think they need to start experiencing the real world. I’ve started working since I was 17 and I paid for portion of my tuition. Although it was only a little, I felt somewhat responsible. Since then, I earned my pocket money and sometimes paid for small bills. I think early work experience is a good start for preparing for the real world.

    ReplyDelete