Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Abortion: Right Or Wrong?

Abortion has always been a touchy subject. While some rave it right, depending on the woman's circumstances, others feel is flat out WRONG! So, while I'm being honest with you, after all, this is my blog, there is not right or wrong to abortion. Its circumstantial. With that said, I'll share my story with you.

I was 18 and fresh out of high school. A few days after we graduated, I called a close friend of mines because she hadn't called me in some days and that wasn't like her. As we conversed, I realized how shaky this girls voice was. That wasn't normal for her. She always had a deep motherly voice....always so serious. I said "Niki, whats wrong with you?' She proceeded to tell me nothing...Liar! I'm not stupid. She finally broke down and told me the truth. She was indeed pregnant. The child's father was not a good man at all. He would hit her, disrespect her, still lived at home with his parents and this man was pushing thirty! Sad. I asked her would she keep it and she said no. I tried to talk her out of if but it didn't work. She said she wasn't in a place in her life where she could take care of a baby. So, she got a abortion. A few months later, In September, I found out that I was pregnant. The first thing that came to my mind was how much does a abortion cost so I called Niki. Within two weeks of me finding out, I was no longer pregnant. My reason for not keeping that baby was simple: I was 18, had a job but my money was only enough for me, I wanted to go to college and enjoy my life. I had another friend who upon finding out she was pregnant, kept her baby. She was my age but she felt she was in a good place in her life and wanted her child.

So Like I said, in my opinion, the words right and wrong don't apply to the term abortion. Its all about what your going through; where you are in your life. You could be forty years old and still not ready for a baby. Its a huge responsibility. Look at Marylin Monroe, she had plenty of abortions. So many that I'm surprised that she was able to still conceive! Hundreds of women of all ages get pregnant everyday and hundreds of women of have abortions every day. So much so that it seems like its become a fundamental of every day living. Sad to say but true. Before you judge a woman on her choice not to keep her baby, look at her life. Ask her about her circumstances, what else she has to consider. You just may agree with her choice and if not, know that its her life and she'll have to face the consequence for that action.


7 comments:

  1. Abortion is something that many people still see as a black and white subject but there are so many layers in between that seem to go unnoticed. I personally believe that the right to choose whether or not to receive an abortion lies in the power of woman battling over whether or not she will have the procedure. So many people get involved and want to express how it "affects" them but the reality of the situation is that it might affect them for a minute, an hour, a day or in some cases longer but the experience and feelings will forever be with the woman who choose to have it done. She will be the person that ultimately has to deal with the repercussions for the rest of her life; whether that be emotional or physical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always felt that abortion was a personal choice and still do. I could never judge someone who made the choice to abort a child especially if they were in a bad situation. One day while sitting at a stop light, I read the bumper sticker of the car in front of me, it was a quote by mother Teresa. "It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish". I am not sure why but it had a big impact on me. I started to think about abortion from a different perspective. The reality is that there are a lot more girls and women today who use abortion as a form of birth control. They don't use proper birth control and some don't use any at all because in the back of their mind, they know that they can always get an abortion if they get pregnant. As much as abortion is a personal choice, it is also a personal responsibility to use birth control or abstain from sex when we are not ready to have children. After all, that fetus has the potential to become a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abortion is a huge topic in America. Some people strongly disagree with abortion and will go to all costs to bash women who get them. I personally believe it is wrong to make others feel horrible about themselves if they get an abortion. No one should be told how to live. People should be able to enjoy sexual things and if they become pregnant be able to get an abortion or keep the baby(or adoption). No one should have to worry about what others think or what others say about how we live our lives. We should enjoy how we live OUR own lives. Abortion may be wrong or right but we should not hold it over someones head if they make the decision to get an abortion. Not everyone is made to have and care for a baby. But in the end it is how the women feels about it and may end up regretting having that baby not there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My views on abortion changed when I saw, and heard my baby's heart beat at 9 weeks. She was alive inside of me then and should remain that way. There are alternatives other than abortion. If you don't want it someone else will. I also had friends growing up that seemed to use abortions as a birth control method. I really have a problem with using abortion as a form of birth control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the thing, I think abortion should be legal do to the fact that the fetus has zero cognitive ability and is basically a bunch of cells multiplying through meiosis. I definitely have a scientific approach to this topic, but feel like the "baby" that is being destroyed is no different than the cells in your arm. However, I do think people should not abuse it, as it screws up the woman's reproductive system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. abotrion is okay with me. i believe its whoevers choice to do it. it is true people should take the right precautions if they dont want to have kids; everyone is not going to do that. we need to help the ones that have a chance with their baby and encourage them to make the right decision but in all honest we should mind our business =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To those who say that a fetus is just a bunch of cells should see a lifeless fetus out of the womb and on an instrument table, treated like a piece of tissue. It's quite disturbing. With that being said, I think that this is a subject where a man's opinion is not relevant. Yes, we help make it, but we are not carrying it, and most likely not caring for it the same way a mother will for the first few months after the baby's birth. Abortion should be legal and women should be the decision makers in abortion. After all, women will bear the brunt of an abortion far more than a man will.

    ReplyDelete