Friday, September 17, 2010

What's Gender Gotta Do With Love?

Love is love. No matter which way you look at it, you can’t help who you fall in love with, whether it be with a man or a woman……What baffles me though is the fact so many people are against same sex marriage. A substantial amount of people are what we call homophobic. What’s even funnier is homophobes seem to think homosexuality is like a disease. They want you to stay far away so you don’t infect the straight, or get away and go get cured.
Your sexual orientation should ultimately depend on you and what your preferences are, I don’t believe it should rely on passages from the Bible to dictate whether its “allowed “ or not.
Somehow, somewhere in this country, were all supposed to be equal, man is supposed to be equal….yet were not…Before March 9th, 2010 (which was the first same sex marriage performed in our nation’s capital), openly same sex couples, who are your normal taxpaying citizens were fighting for their basic rights in which they were denied based on out dated and unconstitutional ideas.
An argument that was proposed for being against same sex marriage was the teaching of it, that marriage in society is something extremely major that is taught in schools and if same sex marriage was legalized that we would then have to teach our children that same sex marriage is equivalent to opposite sex marriage, but what do your genitals have to do with marriage? Isn’t marriage supposed to be about love and commitment and to support one another till death do they part? The morals and foundation of what marriage means is what should be taught, not just “boy marries girl cause that’s how it’s supposed to be,” (let’s not forget because society “says that’s how its supposed to be”)
Same sex couples deserve just as much dignity and respect as a straight couple do, and all in all, I am obviously saying I am 100 percent for same sex marriage, I just want to know why its looked so down upon even though its slightly more accepted…its 2010 already, things are changing, I think it’s time to get over it! :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree. Love is love no matter how you look at it. Whether its two pair of pants or two skirts. Our hearts love those who loves us back unconditionally. I have two sisters and friends that are gay and I never make them feel bad for it. Its not my place to. My job is to love them for who they are...accept them...embrace them and fight with and for them if I have to. While Im not gay, I have a huge amount of respect for the gay community because in retrospect, they have more heart than the heterosexual community. If you ask me, we are all cosmic punks. We should celebrate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had asked me years ago I would have said that the fact that the GLBT community was not allowed to legally marry wasnt even a bleep on my radar. Not because it didnt effect me but because I was young and marriage wasnt a thought in my head. For the past few years this topic has become something that I have been pushing for and trying to get. If its the word of "marriage" that society wants to keep to describe a heterosexual relationship, fine. I will find my own way to describe my union. I want the rights, the benefits, the respect and the opportunity to be a recognized unit with my partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that gay people happen to be the ones that society is choosing to prosecute right now. Over the years, the groups have changed, women and black people are some examples. Just like in school, when kids pick on others because they are insecure, the majority of society has always picked on a particular group of people because they are insecure. A lot of people need to put others down in order to feel better about themselves. If we were all always treated as equals, it would be more obvious to see everyone's flaws and some people just cannot handle that. We all know that the same people who are using the bible to condemn the LGBT community are breaking some of the 10 commandments everyday. The bible says that adultery is wrong, I don't see cheating spouses being prosecuted, assaulted and sometimes killed. This country is wasting so much time and energy on trying to keep gay people from getting married when our school system is terrible, childhood obesity is an epidemic and people die everyday of curable conditions because they cannot afford health care. Come on! There is strength in numbers and the only way that anything is going to change is by more people coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes this is all wrong and should be fixed. America is supposed to be about being free but they limit us on things. Makes no sense at all. My sister is gay and is in the army but she must hide it because her Sergent would make sure she gets kicked out if he finds out. I think it is wrong and it is only because her sergent is an asshole and does not believe in gays. She has to live a harder life because of what others think and that is wrong. America should follow what they say about this being a free country. No one should have to feel left out or be told that they can not be married to someone. If they love them and want to spend the rest of their life with them then so be it. They can help children get adopted a loved for and they can still raise children just like any "normal" family.

    ReplyDelete