Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The New Cell Phone Law is a Blessing to Marylanders

On Friday, October 1, 2010 the new cell phone law goes into action. The new law will prohibit all Maryland drivers from using a cell phone without a Hands Free Device while operating a motor vehicle. In addition the new law would prohibit "a holder of a learner’s instructional permit or provisional driver’s license who is 18 years of age or older from driving a motor vehicle while using a handheld telephone".  The fine for a first offense would be $40 and subsequent offenses would be $100. (Maryland Senate Bill 321)

     With this new law hundreds of Maryland residents will be saved from auto accidents and slow drivers.   All to often I find myself behind a driver in the lane going 10 miles under the speed limit, only to pass them and see they are on the cell phone.  It has been said that texting and talking on the cell phone impair your driving as bad as a drunk driver.  To often I have had close calls with people merging into my lane and not being aware because they are chatting on the phone.  The new law will allow for those  busy people who can't put the phone down to use hand's free devices. 

     This is a comprise, because some States do not allow even hand's free devices.  I hope that in the near future the roads will be come safer for everyone and the accident rate will decrease because of the new law.  To often I have driven pass accidents involving families or children only to think, was this a drunk driver or cell phone user.   With the new cell phone law going to effect I hope enforcement is quick.  I myself have to go purchase a ear microphone this weekend and I encourage others to do the same.  Who knows you might save a life or at least save the fine of $40 bucks.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I support this law a 100%. I have been in too many instances where another driver is about to cause a horrible crash, because they are on their hand held cell phone, or they are texting. I am also shocked when I am a passanger in a car and watch people do all kinds of crazy things in their car. I've seen people on their lap tops, reading a book,flossing their teeth, putting on make up, and changing clothes. It is crazy. People really need to pay attention to the road and stop doing things that they should take care of when they are at home, and not on the roads. How are they going to feel when they cause an accident in which someone gets hurt, or God forbid even killed. Just for doing things that can wait until you are out of your car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit it but I still do and will continue to text and drive. Im sorry but that is my one bad thing on the road that I do. I even have an app on my iPhone called “dragon dictation”, what you do is talk like you are using speakerphone and it types what it hears and you can update your Twitter, Facebook, Email or text using this free service. But do I? No I don’t because im just lazy I guess.

    ReplyDelete