Sunday, September 26, 2010

Motorcycle Safety

Recently while driving down the interstate, I drove by one of those billboards and it read "Motorcycle Safety: Share the Road". This simple statement started me thinking on what exactly was required of me as a vehicle driver to share the road and what exactly are the responsibilities of the rider.

As a vehicle driver the responsibilities seemed like common sense. The list is one that they drill into your head from the start of your driving career. All of my ideas need to be completed more often and with more caution with motorcycles present obviously but all are very simple and usually part of your normal driving routine. The list contained things like defensive driving, checking your blind spots, keeping safe distances from the vehicles around you and of course, watching out for motorcycles.

When it came to thinking about the responsibilities of the rider, I was stumped. One would think that they are probably the same as if your were on four wheels instead of two but after seeing an abundance of riders out on the roads lately, I'm starting to think that isn't the case. How are we supposed to safely share the road and prevent an accident when their driving is so sporadic? Over the past few months, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen riders barreling down the center lines or weaving in and out of traffic all while driving at ridiculously fast speeds. I have also seen some texting/talking while riding, tail gating and doing tricks on their bikes.

With all I have seen lately, I am having a hard time figuring out if the majority of motorcycle accidents are really due to an outside party or the negligence of the riders themselves. Maybe it's half and half but I really don't know. I do know that in order to keep riders safe we really need to make an effort on all parts to eliminate these potential hazards.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog topic has hit a little bit of a sensitive spot for me. While I completely agree with what you mentioned about some bikers weaving in and out of lanes, and flying by doing stupid things, it infuriates me when people ( not you :) ) automatically assume that every biker does this and accidents are most always their fault. My boyfriend passed away in a motorcycle accident two and a half years ago and it was completely 100% the other driver's fault. A man in an SUV failed to yield to Andrew's right of way and t-boned him, killing him instantly. What made the situation even harder were all the people afterwards who automatically assumed that it was the 19 yr old on the speed bike's fault rather then the 79 yr old man in the SUV. The stereotype that has arisen, esp within the last couple years, about bikers all being dangerous and accidents being their fault is just so frustrating to me. Yes, there are dangerous bikers and yes some are the cause of accidents, but drivers are just as, if not more, guilty. Unfortunately though, the bikers are the ones who pay for it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are dangerous and do anything they wish because they are on a bike. They do dumb things and one dumb thing leads to death or injury. I am very sorry about your boyfriend and I understand your side too. I have seen plenty of people get zoomed by a biker and they will chase them down in their huge car. It is just wrong... There is no need for you to get that angry to want to kill someone or knock them off their bikes. But then again I have seen plenty of people on bikes race down the road flying right by me and one time I saw two fly right by me and later down the road I saw one on the side of the road very much injured while the other one had left. Bikers make stupid mistakes and must be aware of their surroundings and their actions. We are big cars on the road with little bikes. They are already taking a risk being on the road with car drivers. Once they risk things more than horrible things can happen. Its either how they drive their bikes or how the car drivers feel about bikers. Either way its a huge risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also sorry to hear about your boyfriend and have had too many people close to me die or were severely injured on a motorcycle as well. I can understand the adrenaline rush of driving a motorcycle but for me that does not outweigh the risks associated with it.

    ReplyDelete