Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eco-Friendly Autos

So our presentations in class today made me think of some things.  The global warming issue really struck a chord with me.  I know that it's more sensible to buy a car that will get you from point A to point B.  But sometimes, mostly because of the media influence, we want to get from point A to point B in a more fashionable sense.  I don't necessarily consider it to be greed.  But rather I think that if you work hard and you make enough money, then why not buy your dream car.  But then in the back of my mind, I know that I would like to do my part to help out the environment.  So is it possible to have the best of both worlds?  Can you have luxury while still doing your part to save the world?  I don't think it's easy.  I know that Lexus and Cadillac made their hybrids.  No disrespect to their craftsmanship, but I think they created more of an illusion.  Their hybrid cars have about two or three more miles per gallon than their normal cars.  To me, that's not much.  So I think for now I will have to stick to driving around in a more gas friendly car than trying to have it all.  This is mainly because I'm a broke, college student but at least it's better for the earth.  Which brings me to my next point.  Why are hybrid cars so expensive?  I wanted to get the hybrid civic, but it was about $5,000 more than the civic that I bought.  The car guys should find a way to make these vehicles more financially friendly if they want the world to survive.  And even though they are more expensive, they have been rolling off the lots like crazy.  The "wealthier" individuals have been able to buy these cars.  So it would make sense to build more.  But instead there was also a four month wait list for me to drive.  I didn't have time for that, so I opted with my next best choice.  So hopefully, car companies will make these eco-friendly cars for cheaper and more readily available.  But maybe I'm just hoping for too much.  Oh well.

3 comments:

  1. It's surprising that Lexus and Cadillac have made their hybrids since I didn't have an idea. But in the meanwhile, it's very sad that they only provide a few more miles comparing to other vehicles.. I bought my car when there weren't many hybrid cars so I didn't really have a choice thinking about buying hybrid cars, but that concept that is eco-friendly really appealed me. I think if car campanies really care about the environment and if that's the reason why they made those new type of vehicle, then they should work hard to make the price lower than now so more people can afford buying eco-friendly cars, and for people who seek for a luxury and eco-friendly car, luxuriy car brands like Lexus, Cadillac, and the like would need to work on making a "real" hybrid car, not the car that doesn't necessarily show much difference as the normal cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car manufactures are all getting into the game of the next big thing in Eco-Friendly Autos. Nissan is one of them and they are promising to have an all-electric car by 2011. Other car companies are jumping in too. They are doing this, of course, because they know if they are the first company to come out with a reliable car then people will buy that car and depend and trust that car company. A lot is at stake in this field, that’s why Lexus poorly attempted with their hybrid. Automakers like Toyata have a hybrid Camry but again with its high pricing it is affordable to many people. While the research is going on to produce eco-friendly vehicles, I worry about how these companies are going to try to market and make a profit off of them. After all it is all about the dollar for those folks, as we learned in class. We have been stuck in this mode of shop, shop, shop until you drop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being eco friendly is a good thing. You dinitly can have best of both worlds because hybrids are coming in every fashion. You can now get a escalde in hybrid which is awesome. Hibrids are better fuel friendly milage. I am for the eletric cars though eventhough they are still out of my league. The hybrids are better for now.

    ReplyDelete