Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Gender vs. Power

In today's work force men are treated differently than woman. Although times have changed drastically since the 1800's woman are still treated less than men. Over one-hundred years ago you never saw a woman working. Most of them stayed at home and took care of the house and children. There are much more women working today and some still stay at home. Even though times are different woman are still viewed as the weaker gender.
If a man and woman have the exact same job, in most cases the male will get paid more. I remember my father telling me one time that if my mom was a male that she would get paid twice as much. I think it's unfair for people to be judged base off of their sex. There are much more powerful woman today, such as Hilary Clinton or Oprah Winfrey that stand out to us. People don't think that woman can hold as strong of position as men. I really feel that this is untrue. I think that you need to give people the chance to prove themselves in a work force. I feel a woman can do just as good of job as a man if she puts her mind to it. I know that most woman have a softer side to them and there are many careers that need a softer side to do well in. Some of these careers would be nursing, school teacher, and running a day care.
Men are more dominant figures showing masqulinity. That's why they are good for being in charge and running a business. They don't mind saying whats on their mind and have no problem letting someone go or hurting their feelings. It's the way that our minds are programed. I'm not saying a woman can't do these types of jobs. I really think it depends on the personality. There are many woman who have dominant personalities that can do this type of job just as well as a man. I feel that anyone no matter the gender to can anything they want. They just need to put the time and effort. We need to stop letting the gender of a person contribute to what we think they are capable of.

5 comments:

  1. I think women should be treated more than men or the same because women do more things than men do, for example when it’s come to contributed to the society and as well as individually work like household etc. I don’t understand why women get to paid less than men do even when they have the same background education its not fair for people to be judged based on who they are like their sex, their color of skin, and family background, I think people should be judged base on what they bring to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with the both of you. I have work at many jobs and the women are treated differntly in one way or another. I know for a fact that I could do the job the same as any many. I don't like being treated as though I can't lift something and I should get a male co-worker to help. I also don't think it is right that men and women get paid differntly when they are doing the same job and have the same expierence. I just wish that everything would be equal amongst both male and females in the work force.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, agree with your comments towards the gender inequality. Now in this society, chances for most women are either staying at home taking care of all the housework or doing both working at work force and doing the housework. I think the way men are treated better than women is totally unfair, but sadly it seems we are creating that environment with gender inequality. Gender inequality had been created in historic times since men could use more power to carry things and work out on the fields. With that to begin, from some point many people preferred to have sons than girls. Quite many people even aborted babies just because they had found out the baby didn't have a gender that they wanted the baby to have. It is quite a shock and I feel really depressed whenever I hear people talking about the society with gender inequality, but I think we need to also think about how we are making the future view about the gender with equal rights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think women are not treated as equally as men because they are still viewed as the stereotypical housewife woman. The reality is where I work, women hold more of the high ranking jobs. My immediate manager is definitely not the sterotypical housewife but instead a woman who prefers to listen to deathmetal, has over thirty piercings, and rides mortorcycles in her free time. However you would never suspect it just by looking at her. The store manager is the same way by if there's a problem, they have no issue dealing with it as is necessary. And they are definitely not overly emotion about anything. xD It depends on personality, not gender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I read somewhere that President Obama was looking at a female to fill the seat of Justice Souter. I think that would be great. Its good to see glass ceilings fall and shatter. Its good to see gender role reversals in everyday society. It motivates and inspires girls to see the Hillary Clintons and the Michelle Obama’s and the Oprah. Only one of her. Most institutions are trying to break the mold of girls being matriculated in special programs instead of the maths and the sciences. I surveyed Howard Community College’s campus a while back and even though you may see a lot of men working at the campus; most of the administrative positions are almost all women. The president of the school is a woman. There is an office where they have just 2 counselors the rest are all women. From office personnel to the head Director- about 30 people in all. I say this to say, while things are not where they should be. Action has been made and slowly but steadily I believe we will see a balance.

    ReplyDelete