Thursday, April 16, 2009

Poverty in the United States

I was watching 20/20 on ABC news by Diane Sawyer, about poverty in Central Appalachia Kentucky mountain, I was so surprised to see something like this that exists in the United States, the way the family live and the way they raised their children, because most people think that this kind of life and hunger is in developing countries like those in Africa. Most immigrants come to America for a better life, because they don't think this kind of life is exists in America. All they hear about America is that everything is prefect and easy to have a successful life within a short period of time. I understand that there are many opportunities in America, because America is one of the wealthiest and powerful countries in the world; however, I don't understand how those people ended up living the way they are living today in Appalachia Mountain. It was so shocking to see a twelve year old girl going after her alcoholic mother and who can't live for one day without taking drug and live with more than ten people in a small house. She is not one messing up herself; she is messing up the children's life, too. The girls become pregnant at a young age and they don't even know the father, because most of them start having sex from the people who are living with them. I hope the governments do something about the children's life; they need help because they are fighting for change their lives, but they really need help. Also about the prescription drug abuse and the shortest life span in the nation, cancer and chronic depression etc ……

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is crazy. I have never heard of this story before but I defidently believe it. I think its really sad when you hear about young children growing up with mothers are addicted to drugs or alcohol. I know that when I was younger my mother tried to do her best to raise and me and there were times that I felt it wasn't good enough. The kids whos parents are doing these types of behaviors neglect their children and don't give them the attention they need. How do we help a community like this? I fear that the United States isn't going to be this powerful country very soon because of all the economic struggles we have been having since September 11th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so this is really scary. How can this be happening and why is it being ignored? These kids are our legacy and they are being left behind. We need to help this community and figure out a way to better their situation. I wonder are they attending school, is there a school for them to attend, or are they to busy taking care of their addicted parents? I could never imagine my children or myself in that horrific situation. So many people take for granted what they have and do not see the difficulties, such as this, that people face. I think that people should open their eyes and help, but wait, that means Americans would not have to be selfish and most of us don''t deal well with that, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard some sort of stories like that before but didn't believe that is really happening in the United States. That sounds so desperate that parents of children are living their days like they are so exhausted fighting to make their America Dream so that they no longer care what happens to themselves "and" their children and that the government is not doing much to help them. I think the organizations and government should immediately seek the ways to help them, providing schools, shelter, and food -- at least the environment where the children can be raised in healthy ways both physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hunger in the U.S is a fact that most people living here has no idea about. America may be the richest nation but there are still some negative things about it. In my paper on my action plan for world hunger and poverty, I made mention about hunger being in the U.S also. We need to do better. There is absolutely no reason why people should go hungry whether in the U.S or Africa or anywhere else in the world We need to be our brothers keepers by sharing and caring. Hunger should not be part of our worries as human as vthere are more than enough to feed everyone worldwide.

    ReplyDelete