Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Google makes the public data easily accessible and understandable

I’m pretty sure that almost everyone in our class has spent plenty of time searching online for reliable statistics while writing term papers. Finding, and then navigating through web sites, especially government ones, can be difficult since they’re often somewhat complex and confusing. I remember I was preparing a presentation about organ transplants for my speech class and was looking for statistics to support one of my claims. I had browsed the website of the U.S. Health and Human Services for several hours until I finally found those numbers. It was quite frustrating. Luckily for me, on Tuesday, Google started a new awesome search tool called Google Public Data. It is designed to make it easier for users to find data and help them better understand the data with the use of graphs. It gives users opportunity to look at data by states and compare that data. This enables you to see patterns within data sets that might not have seen looking at just raw data. All information is trustworthy because the data used is retrieved from the Census Bureau and the Bureau of Labor Statistics. For right now, Google is launching limited types of public data, including unemployment rates, population, and a few others. However, officials at Google promise to expand types of available data in the coming months. Consequently, Google Public Data can be a great tool to improve and ease online research in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t know about this. We learned in class about how statistics can misconstrued to purport anyone’s agenda. Who has critically analyzed Google to make sure that their sources are credible and ready for public usage? While we as students need the statistics to back up our researches, we still have to look in credible resources. This area is of big concern for me because I am not the best researcher. So if Google promised to have data that is useful I wouldn’t want to go through an extra pain to make sure Google had their sources right. I think the modes we have for research right now are good. The library can assist with all research needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how much technology has advanced over the years. Google is very helpful for just about anything. With just a click of a button you can learn about anything you want. I always wonder how the newspaper business is still going when you can access anything from your computer. I liked our discussion in class when we talked about facebook, it's great and all, but I do feel like it effects our ability to communicate well without the computer.

    ReplyDelete