Thursday, November 26, 2009

Black Boy

A couple years back, around the time i was in 9th grade, my mom and i were at target. As we were walking i asked her "if i wasnt ur son and you saw me walking by wat would u think?" she answered "i would be scared of u". I asked her "why?" and she said" cuz of the way i look, they way i dress, and the way i walk" and then added "on top of all that ur a black male". Mind u the woman tell me that she scared of me cuz im black is also black herself. i though about what she said for about like 1 week and decided to pay attention to how people looked at me. i soon noticed that pretty much every where i went people were giving me the same look. i was being followed in the stores, getting stares while i walked through crowds of older people, and you could just tell that my presence wasn't wanted. it was kinda crazy knowing that ppl would judge me and condem me without having talked to me and not even tryin to get a chance to get to kno me. i asked some of my black friends if stuff like that happened to them. some of the things they said made my small week worth experience seem like nothing. since my mother said this basically happened cuz i was black i decided to ask my non black friends if the dealt with things like this. the majority of them had no clue about wat i was talking bout. they seemed at a lost. this kinda suprised me but not to the point of total shock. i knew some of the kids that i had ask were worse them me but i guess they didnt fit the profile of a trouble maker. but anyways after a while i relized no matter where i was everybody in the room would first notice that im black. they wont notice my shoes, my hair, my clothes, but they will notice the color of my skin and treat me according. What a shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment