Sunday, September 25, 2011

I pulled a muscle in my back last week, and went to see a doctor that was not my regular. When I went in the doctor asked me all of the basic questions " what happened, how does this feel, where does it hurt etc." Then she proceeded to proscribe me a muscle relaxer which would have cost me $75 out of pocket. She also referred me to another doctor to have x-rays and other tests done to ensure it was the muscle issue and nothing more severe involving bones. This doctor then suggested I try another prescription but I should first go back to the original doctor for her opinion and for her to prescribe it. I didn't go back at that point I made an appointment with my regular MD who is holistic and works using his hands and all natural remedies. I didn't even have to tell him what was wrong, by the end of my treatment session he was asking me " what happened to your back, how does it feel now and make another appt if it continues." I'm not saying this holistic doctor is cheaper (believe me he is not) but I kind of feel like I get my money's worth with my regular doctor.It also brought up the idea in my head that had been discussed in one of my previous classes of how many doctors, and pharmaceutical companies work together to generate a larger profit. This also goes as deep as to medical institutions, many pharmaceutical giants fund major projects at schools universities. Not quite sure where I'm going with this post but wanted to share the idea of doctors seeing paitentes as dollar signs for themselves and peers instead of the crippled helpless people we are.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete