Friday, September 30, 2011

stress = twitching






Two nights ago I found out that there is a big test coming up for my criminology class. I was told the test was on Friday so I started to freak out because I hadn’t studied at all and I was afraid I was going to fail. The next day my lower right eye lid was twitching every 10-15 mins and it was frustrating and annoying. I could not figure out why it was doing that so I asked some people and did a little bit of research on why a person’s eye might be twitching. I found out that there is no exact cause of it but it usually occurs when a person is under a lot of stress. It is also associated with high caffeine intake. I remember that morning I had two cups of coffee and I started to study when the twitching started. After I found out the causes of why my eye was twitching I took a break and relaxed a little bit. But my eye has not stopped twitching and it is really bothering me. Stress is an important issue that people don’t take seriously. People who go to college experience a lot of stress from trying to do well and getting everything they need to get done over with. It is important for people to take a break every once in a while. Not only will it relieve some stress but it will also help you retain information because your not under stress and your head doesn’t hurt. When I start doing my school work I don’t take a break until I am completely done. A lot of other students also do this because they don’t want to deal with it later on. But since I realized that it is important to take breaks every once in a while when your studying, im going to start doing it so my eye stops twitching all the time.

2 comments:

  1. So annoyed... My response wasn't posted. The long and short of it is that we as a cultural are over worked, under paid and under appreciated, as well as way over scheduled with no downtime which leads to great amounts of stress and anxiety. We need to slow down and relax, otherwise the stress will end up killing us in one way or another. Over stressed business men have high rates of suicide. Stressed out teens and adolescents can have the same outcome if they feel like their lives are unmanageable or under constant duress. I think the stress is inately environmental and perhaps partly biological in a hereditary manner. My father was extremely over stressed and anxious and I have become the same way - is there a biological connection here? My advice, take some time for you.... Do something nice for yourself and take advantage of downtime; a relaxing bath with candles and glass of wine or a night out with some friends. Studying and good grades are important, but they should not drive you to uncontrollable twitching.... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Marie BoisvertOctober 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM

    Eye twitching can be caused by more than stress itself. If you suffer from Insomnia (unable to sleep well) it can lead to lack of sleep. Since your body has no time to heal and relax it can lead to eye twitching. Another way, if you strained a muscle in your eye. You probably came to this by studying and looking at your paper for a long period of time. You can strain your eye muscles by also watching a long period of television. Yes, caffeine definitely probably caused your eye problem as well. If you want to avoid this in the future you can take some good timed breaks between studying, avoid unhealthy food intake, and get a decent amount of rest. I probably sound like a doctor, but I just know a lot of health related situations because I worked in a gym and doctors office for a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete