Friday, November 18, 2011

Art and The Message


You’re walking in the city and all of a sudden you see massive amounts of graffiti on the buildings around you. What comes to your mind? Is this a crime or a thing of art? In my opinion, it is a piece of art. Some people consider this act as crime. They think the person that did this to the buildings is trying to act out and destroy property. But, this is not always the case. For some artists this is the only way to share what they want to say. They actually put a lot of effort into the artwork before it goes onto the building walls. They might start out by sketching it in their sketch books. It’s trying to display a message. Each piece of artwork has a message to it. Being an artist, I know this is a true statement. I was talking and sharing artwork with my friend Claudio the other day (a graffiti artist) and he was telling me all these stories that are behind his work. It was really expiring to hear. He really goes hard core when thinking about what he wants to explain in his work, rather its showing his personality or showing something he really wants to say. Most of the pieces on the building walls involve social change. The artist wants to show what’s going on in the world in order to make a change. A quote I came across states this. “A belief in cultural and creative expression as a means to affect deep and lasting social change.

Through art, we can challenge many of our society's deepest assumptions, built upon the power of artistic creation and expression to

spark new ideas

• catalyze critical thinking

• elicit new actions

• inspire individuals

• and create visions

Art becomes a political act, a conscious effort to facilitate and participate in social change. If we want respect, love and beauty among us and others, we must actively promote it through our art.” (http://www.artforsocialchange.net/home.html).

Art as meaning. Art has thought. Art can change the way people think. When seeing the graffiti on the walls, it is not destruction of property. It is a way of thinking; to get a message across.

5 comments:

  1. Art is in the eye of the beholder but I also feel it has a place which makes it acceptable. I think graffiti is destruction of property if it is created somewhere without permission. Art is the artist’s way of expressing something or sending a message but the purpose becomes lost when it’s somewhere that is unwanted. I support art and the benefits of expressing one’s emotions through art but feel it would be more accepted and appreciated if it was somewhere where the artist had permission. For example, someone wouldn’t consider it art if I made my masterpiece on their vehicle without asking first. Rather than continuing to fight the system, they should embrace it and try to make it more well received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are entitled to self-expression, but I agree that self-expression has its place. If you are expressing yourself through art, then do it in the appropriate forums. If graffiti is something that someone is passionate about, then it's perfectly acceptable as long as it's done using the appropriate avenues. Like the previous response said, I'm pretty sure no one appreciates having property vandalized. I also agree that art can influence beliefs and change views, and if a person has the talent and the capacity to do that, why put themselves at risk of getting into legal trouble, and undermining their end goal in the process. Sounds a little counterproductive to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art is an extension of its creator. Art allows us to express the ideas that help stimulate the mind as well as the senses. I assume that for graffiti artists, words just aren't enough to convey their ideas. I have seen my fair share of graffiti in my lifetime, in many different cities. What always amazed me about graffiti is the odd locations I would find these works of art. I always wondered how the hell they manage to complete a project on a bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing graffiti in places where it is relevant to a movement in the area, I don't see anything wrong. In places where vandalism is enforced, it should be thought about before doing. I consider myself an artist but to take a property not yours and claim your art work on it is and should be illegal. The expression and the creative message an art work creates is not always positive so who's to say " Yes, you can go ahead and negate laws of private property and perform on this wall." Artwork like this is personal yet open for the public to see. It's hand crafted and precious but it should be done on your own wall with your own medium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with that graffiti would be a great art work unless it destroys a private property or makes people unpleasant.
    However, if it is drawn on public place maintained by a city or a state, and if it contains individuals' or an organizations' own message, it should be a little bit more careful no matter how wonderful it is.
    It is because it should contain the message that explains public values and willingness, not individuals' own.
    There is no problem that it is done on their own properties, but I think that if they want to display more public, they should get permitted by governments at least.

    ReplyDelete