Thursday, November 17, 2011

Immigration


Last week we have seen a video about illegal immigrants in the USA and I was very upset. It was very hard to see how people are suffering when crossing the border. And I was really surprised that the such problem exist in America, because the United States is country of immigrants. On the other hand, the problem of immigration is one of the oldest and most painful in the US. Even two centuries ago Benjamin Franklin was concerned that the German immigrants may have a negative impact on the American culture. Each new wave of immigrants face some negative acceptance from old immigrants. In the middle of the XIX century Irish immigrants considered drunkards. In the early twentieth century it was said the Polish, Russians and Italians are very different from local people, their customs and traditions have little common with American culture, so they have very little chance to successfully integrate into American society. Now similar accusations addressed to immigrants from Asia and Latin America. Periodically negativity against immigrants increases. When economy goes bad people think that immigrant steal their jobs, or becoming potential criminals or potential terrorists.
I am also immigrant and I consider myself lucky. I did not need to cross the border illegally or did not get student visa hoping to get a green card somehow. I won a Green Card lottery and I became a resident immediately I came to the US. I know some people in Uzbek community and how they get their status. Most of them spend a lot of money to make first work visa and then green card. A lot of them make a fake marriage with American citizens and pay them twenty – thirty thousand dollars.
I do not know how to solve illegal immigration problem, but I believe that people who think that illegal immigrants are all criminals are wrong. Most foreigners immigrate to America because they want to work and help their families, not because they want to sell drugs or steal something.

6 comments:

  1. I do not think that many Americans are aware of what is happening with immigrants in the U.S. Although I myself is considered to be an immigrant, I did not know such problem exists when crossing the border. The video that we've seen in the class was shocking and at the same time heartbreaking. Like you mentioned, yes United States is country of immigrants but perhaps not anymore. Few days ago, I had a conversation with one of the international students that I teach about her life in America. I asked her if America is treating her well and if she likes her life here in the U.S. She hesitated a moment and said, "Yes, America is awesome place to live for citizens but not for us." I understand that it is such a sensitive issue. However, I see many people without green-card/citizenship living in the United States for more than half of their life struggling due to their status. It is so pitiful and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immigration is said to be quite a large problem in the United States. The American people like to blame the migration of people for their own failures. Losing jobs because of immigration is ridiculous. We are in a recession, one that will most likely end soon, jobs are being stolen, they're merely disappearing. The fact is the Mexican immigrants do a lot of the work we Americans find disgusting and filthy. They keep our country running. The asians that come through work hard to accomplish for their families well being. Back during World war two, Japanese families were held in camps due to the fear of spies. America never took well to immigration than that needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To try and decode an ideal as complicated as the immigration issue we have in America is mindbogglingly and near impossible. In the general sense, you have one hand that see immigrants as "illegal aliens" how have the potential to cause a crime yet can not be prosecuted as easily as they are undocumented, the may take you job by offering to work for less money under the table (avoiding taxes at the same time) and simply taking up space in our crowded society. Then on other hand you have those who view immigrants as PEOPLE who are trying to better themselves and their families by potentially earning an education and more income. I, just like America, am a descendant of immigrants. My grandparents from my mothers side, migrated from Hungary (grandfather) and Nicaragua (grandmother). A few years back I had a great opportunity to learn of my heritage by visiting Nicaragua. Aside from its very few tourist attractions it is very poor, and seeing this opened my eyes to why many do migrate to America. My grandfather nor grandmother have ever committed a crime throughout their stint in the United States (over 40 years) and have only worked hard to put me in the privileged position that I am in today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Americans it is part of our social heritage to always hate the new guy. The United States is the epitome of hypocrisy. A nation that was established by immigrants has decided they want limitations on immigration. I think we should have free for all Fridays. Every third Friday from 4:00am to 8:00am, the 1st 500 people get in free and get complimentary citizenship. My plan may not be the best, but there has to be a better way of addressing immigration issues. I think that anyone who is willing to risk everything just to be here, deserves to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the limitations that this country has put into place when it comes to immigration, are actually having a negative impact. It was mentioned in class that a lot of immigrants are forced to come to America because their situation at home is so dire. They are willing to come here and work for what others consider to be insignificant pay, they save their money and head back home. However, with the crackdown at the borders it has become increasingly difficult for people to come and go. So you now have the people that would normally come here for a certain time period, stay, becuase it's getting so hard to cross the border. If people want to come and work and then leave. Let them. These jobs are available, because no one else is willing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree with you more. Immigration seems to be a problem for those who are ignorant. This great country was founded my immigrants. "The Melting Pot" is what we are known for, yet people have such a bad concept for those who cross the border or anyone who isn't from here. These people are here to WORK!!! They don't take jobs, they do the things people don't want to do. I wish more people would see this video and many their minds would change or at least see things from another perspective.

    ReplyDelete