Friday, November 11, 2011

College Expenses

College is something most people want to attend at some time in their life. How is anyone supposed to afford college with these crazy expensive prices? I was at work recently, and I work with people who are mostly older than me, and the topic of college debts came up. Everyone was talking about how they cannot afford their loans, and how they would be repaying their debts till they were forty. The scary part is that college tuition is only rising. The four year college I want to transfer to is 38,000 dollars a year, and it is sad to say that it’s the cheapest school in Manhattan. As people look for schools the price of a school is one of the biggest determining factors on whether they attend that school. Years ago other things like the campus, dorms, etc. had a much bigger impact on whether people choose a school. It really sucks that our generation might have to turn down a dream schools to go to ones that are more affordable. Just last year they raised the price of college tuition averages by 6.5 percent. So, since college is so expensive this means college students have to work twice as hard to get good grades, and work a part-time job. When students have a course load of 14-18 credits a semester it becomes hard to make the grades while working. This causes students to drop classes, and fail classes so they have to retake them; which means shelling out more money. College students always have had a heavy work load, and the rise in tuition is only making it worse. I have a friend, who attends school in New York, and you would think working all summer, and saving money would get someone through a semester. No, not at all since her parents are paying for her expensive tuition she has to purchase all of her food, bathroom items etc., and she has already spent 2,500 dollars. College is becoming so expensive, so students need to become aware and take all necessary precautions to be as successful as possible.

4 comments:

  1. If college expenses will continue to grow, in 20 years only people from rich families can have higher education. It is easier to get higher education now than 30 years ago. For example, Steve Job’s parents gave him to the another family, so new family could give college education, but the family they found were from simple family, and Jobs parents did not want to give to new family until new parents promised that he will get a college education. I know that I need to save money for my children education, but I do not know how and how much I need to save. I hope they will go to public university otherwise I do not know how I fund money for private universities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. College tuition I can understand the high cost because the money is going towards the paying the staff, the cost of equipment and supplies, and upkeep and maintenance of the school. The thing that fires me up is the cost of text books. Some of my textbooks cost almost $200 a book. Even though I may only use it a few times, if I try to sell it back at the end of the semester I will get maybe half of the original cost and that is if they are still using that edition for the next semester. Not to mention, the strain the weight of the books puts on your body. I made fun of rolling back packs when they first came out, but after a few semesters with some thick text books… I understand. Hopefully more publishers will make their textbooks available on handheld devices like the Kindle and Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. College tuition is increasing rapidly these days and it does not seem to stop rising. It is even worse if you are attending out-of-state university because you have to worry about living expenses as well. However, I think the international students have most disadvantages. I have many international student friends and I noticed that they pay at least twice more tuition than in-state tuition. Plus they have to pay living expensive as well. They are not even allowed to receive scholarship, financial aide or any other support. For me, I have to put extra effort with my college life. I work Monday-Thursday afternoons to earn money for next semester tuition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why most schools are always thinking of sponging on students like this?
    I hope schools to clearly explain how they use our tuition to all of us, so that we can understand very well.
    As social level, the society is doing a gangster's acting because they are opening only two major ways for people to choose their lives. One is getting education with very expensive cost; another is working for lower jobs. If ones already got a lot of money, they can easily choose school as they want; however, if the others got not enough money. They hardly have another option. Also, it will make vicious circle.

    It is such a sad trap for most of us in various ways.

    ReplyDelete