Friday, November 18, 2011

Playing For the Away Team.

Who ever said that "your college years are the best years of your life" should be dragged out into the street and shot twice. Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to discover the utopia associated with "college years". If anything this has been the most demoralizing period of my life. The struggle that has accompanied college has been full of disappointment, rejection, and financial instability. I have learned to neglect sleep, my health, and anything that resembles a social life. As depressing as my own struggle has been, it is not what angers me most about the college experience. What disturbs me more than anything else is seeing people not take full advantage of an opportunity. Although I do despise of my struggle, I do realize that I am fortunate to have it. As much as I hate the situation that I am in, I do understand that there are plenty of people who would trade places with me, without any hesitation. Those individuals that see my situation as a blessing, are the ones that motivate me not to give up. I find it hard to sympathize with those who are just throwing this opportunity away. To all those who have decided to make a mockery of this opportunity by electing not to put forth their most honest effort, it is with great sincerity that I say, "FUCK YOU!" In some ways, I like to think that I represent the team that everyone else is against. Day by day I am learning to accept that it's not so bad to be on the away team.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when people say that college years are your best years really mean your age, not student life. Most students are about 18-22 years old, and this age is one of the best ages. When I was twenty and was in college I was studying elementary education. I did not choose to be teacher, my parents advised me. My mom is a teacher, and she loves her job. But I did not want to be a teacher, but at that time I was young, I did not have many problems. Now I am in the college again, I have two kids, and it is much harder to study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think alot of college students feel the same way about college and having a full schedule without any break, but i think when they say that "college years are the best years of your life" its kinda true, because most people will realize that at some point. not when they are in college, but when they have graduated, got a job and been working full time for a while. i am one of those people. when i came to america about 2 years ago, i didnt have my paperwork straight and therefore was unable to attend college, so i worked for about a year until i got my green card. so i was out of school for only a year but missed it already. thats why i understand where they are coming from when the say that "college years are the best years of your life".

    ReplyDelete
  4. As saying my situation, I also have a plenty of complaints about my school years due to my lack of concentration, weakness at studying, and bad grades. Even, I believe that it is not helpful to earn bachelor’s degrees for most people and the society.
    It is because we are expecting for people to have high degrees from university, college, or graduate school in order to get better jobs that were widely open to people without any degrees thirty years ago, and I believe that it is a big waste of time, money, and physical energy as you said.

    But in reality, earning degrees became the easiest and most reliable way for stable lives. That’s so sad... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. First and foremost I love the last statement in your blog. I truly believe that epitomizes how college really is. Not everyone, and the reality is not many, have the luxury of having someone else pay for their education, have a decent way of earning a comfortable amount of revenue while being a student, and/or have the time to simply enjoy all of the perks of being a student because of their schedule. School is just like life: it sucks, but you have to go through it to get to a better place. And just like you stated school does suck for many reasons, but there really is someone who has it worse than you and would gladly switch places. Keep your head up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is still enough time to experience college life. Noy all might be considered fun. Most of college life is struggling through work and classes. Not everybody has time to ave a social life and have 100% fun when in college. My hours for school takes up my whole we and my whole day each day. When it comes to the weekend I work all weekend. So, there's no time for a social life right now. I personally think because right now some people are taking as much classes to get to their goal. As time goes on it might be easier and have a better social life. But, right now not everyone has one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. College is not easy for many reasons. I wish I had the opportunity to go to school and only focus on my clases. However, I must work and that takes away from the desire to come to school. Yet, like you mentioned many people don't have the opportunity to get an education and I also use that to motivate myself. I think if everyone though about that, we all be great students.

    ReplyDelete