Monday, March 23, 2009

Capital Punishment & Religion

Last week in class, we had a pretty spirited discussion on the death penalty, and what is and isn't considered cruel and unusual punishment. I had some things that I wanted to say, but I thought at the time that this would be a better forum for the discussion. I get one of my blog entries out of the way, and everyone can get a few of their blog replies done. A win for everyone!

Anyway, this is all opinion, and based mostly on how things were for me growing up in the southern states.I think that at one time, Capitol Punishment was a very viable deterrent for violent crime. It had its place in time, and I believe now that it is mostly outdated.

The main problem, for most, is the execution of those that are innocent, or the prolonged jail stays of death row prisoners. In the more "religious" states, read Southern states, this isn't as big a factor as it is in other parts of the country. Putting a person to death wasn't the judgment of man; it was merely quickening the judgment of God. If a person was truly innocent, then they would be absolved before God, and their soul would we sorted accordingly. If the person was guilty, they would be judged by God, and as a bonus taken out of the general population.

A death row guard was interviewed once in Mississippi (we watched the interview for a class) and his take on execution was very different than the pastor we saw in the videos in class. I can't quote exactly, as I viewed the video close to 15 years ago, but the question posed to him was this: How do you feel knowing that you are taking a man’s life. His reply was: I've prayed and I've talked to my pastor. God is using me to do his work, and he will give me His strength. This isn't my judgment; I'm just helping the Lord so He can make His final judgment.

We have all noticed a decided decline in organized religion over the years. "Non-religious" is the third largest religious group in the United States, behind Christianity and Islamic. Executions are losing the "Speeding up God's Final Judgment" aspect, and are taking on a "We are playing god" aspect. I do believe that as we separate church and state more and more, the issue of Capital Punishment is something we need to have a look at a little closer.

3 comments:

  1. I think that man does not have a power to judge on one's life. Whether that argument is viewed from the religious side or non-religious side, the answer stays the same. We are born to live our lives, not others. It's this simple. We cannot control other people's lives, although we may judge them and let the serious criminals such as serial killers stay in the jail forever. Death-penalty is just not the right thing a human being can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capital punishment is still sooooo hard for me to decide which side I am on. I think the “eye for an eye” doesn’t make those taking the second life any different than the first. However, can that be separated from “eye for an eye” to action – reaction? If it is known that if one should choose to do act A that they would get penalty B why is that so wrong. It is still the choice of the individual to complete act A and die as a result. Whether it be looked at as God’s judgment time or simply following out a predetermined consequence to a predetermined action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also personaly do not think that man have power to judged other lifes. everyone of us had engaged in some kind violent, and sin in so many ways. i think people who commit a crime should not be killed, but sent to prison for some period of time. Killing is also a crime, so i don't believe capital punishment is a good thing for the socities to do.

    ReplyDelete