Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How old are you?

A recent study, done at the University of Virginia, found that "our mental abilities begin to decline at age 27". The study showed that performance was lower at this age. While the reader is given a reasonable amount of information, we know that Statistics are not Facts. We have to divulge into ourselves to determine whether or not to believe the results of the study. Some would say that age is a state of mind. People who are open to all aspects of life and are willing to try new things, are least likely to say "I feel old today". And they are more likely to utilize their brains more so than "couch potatoes".
My grandmother is the perfect example. She will be turning 61 this year. But after seeing her in action, you would never know it. She is very open-minded and loves to have fun. If you ask her how old she is, she will tell you she is 25, without any hesitation. It seems that if you "act" old, you will feel old.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509362,00.html

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that so many people today feel old is because of the media too. The media has plays huge role with age, because there are many commercial especially for women, something like this “if you use this product it will make you young” this affects many women today how the society see them different from others. Therefore, they try to make themselves young by giving wrong information abut there age, and something they become confused how should they act.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is also the exact opposite, 50 year old women who look 90 because of alcohol. So you have to take into account what those 27 year olds that were tested had done with their brain in previous years. Perhaps if we all took those super vitamins our brains would not decline until later years. But what if those 27 year olds had a crack problem for a couple years? lol. I'm sure they screened for stuff like that though, at least I hope.
    It is amazing how what you believe you will feel, because my Great grandmother is in her 80's and goes for walks every morning and does everything for herself with little problem and is confident about her own abilities, yet her 60 year old daughter, my grandmother, is ready to face her maker saying is very old. Give her any problem and she will blame it on her age and how it puts her at a disadvantage. Perhaps if she looked at it in a better light she would not feel quite so old. So, I agree that age is in your mind greatly. If you go around thinking and acting like you are old, you will be, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you have to share. I completly agree with what your have written. I know that many people who have a negative view of life and are not happy with themselves are more likely to feel old and not enjoy life. My father is this way. He complains on a daily basis that he is old and dying when he is 54 years old. My mother on the other hand in 3 years older than him and enjoys life the fullest and have never heard the words come out of her mouth that she feels old and like she is dying. I think majority of things in life are a matter of attitude and the mental process you go through about the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've decided upfront to never mature to the age I am in reality. For example, when I'm fifty, I'm not going to act like it. It's all about how you look at the big picture and mine is age doesn't really matter. Life is too short to worry about your age and all of the disadvantages it might bring. My dad just proved that to me. He is in his mid fifties and says he's never felt better in his life. Age is a state of mind.

    ReplyDelete