Monday, March 23, 2009

Greed Kills Safety

A few days ago I came across a video of a police chase in San Diego.  The driver of a black truck really did not want to get caught by the police so that person (supposed drug dealer) threw out a bag of money onto a busy freeway.  
Now this isn't exactly "money growing on trees", but it's close enough.  So many motorists decide to pull over on the side of a major freeway and get out and collect the cash.  Now what perplexes me is the fact that these people didn't think twice about getting out of their car and putting themselves in danger.  The news article did report that over $17,000 was collected, but in the end, isn't living better than getting run over by a car that's probably going over 70 miles an hour?  Another thing that bothered me was that this drug dealer is trying to create an obstacle so that the police can't catch him/her.  So the smart thing for these drivers to do is to pull over to the side of the road and let the cops continue their pursuit.  However, these people want to stop in the middle of the road and make a payday for themselves.  I'm making this sound bad although it wasn't all bad.  Some people did actually turn in the money that they found.  The police are saying that the money is evidence, but I wonder where it will go?  Anyway, that's another story for another time.  
But the point of this is what's more important?  Your life? or a few hundred bucks?
This link is the actual news article and the video: http://www.10news.com/money/18986563/detail.html

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get tosee the video or actual article but from what I gathered from your story it is realy sad that people can risk their lives on some cash. Oh! I get it we are in a recession. Times are so hard that people can actually risk their lives on a major high way for some cash not considering getting knock down by a speeding police car or arandom motorist.
    Our government needs to do something realy quick cause things are realy getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that anybody that is going to stop their vehicle on the highway just because there is money being thrown out the window of another car that was being chased by police are retarded. I don't care if there was a million bucks lying on the side of the road, I would just keep going. Who knows what would happen to me or anyone else if they were to do something so foolish. I understand that times are tough but I would never risk my life for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very sad that nowadays people depend their lives so much on the money, so that they would expose their bodies and even lives to the danger if they could earn money in the end. That's why prostitutions, gangs, hired murderers, and the like came out to this society today. While wealth can guarantee the easier access to anything, yet people really have to realize that wealth can never be the main source that brings people the true happiness and love.

    ReplyDelete