Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dem interwebs

What happened to society where there was 1 band that everyone cared about? Did we lose something along the way? I can sit here and name bands that people used to care about: Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Journey, Bon Jovi, Guns and Roses and Metallica. After that you did have Linkin Park but they were on the downward spiral. If you asked 10 people what the band or act that everyone was talking about right now you would get 11 different answers. Did society change or is it the internet that changed us? Maybe to me, since when I was born there was no internet, I feel that the internet has helped us in as many ways as it has harmed us. I used to get this feeling of excitement when a friend or I would get the new cd from whoever was popular at the time and that was a big deal. Hell I even remember having to camp out for concert tickets. What could be better than hanging out all night with a bunch of people you don’t know but having a common interest in say Metallica? To today’s youth waiting all night to run into Ticketmaster to be the first to get concert tickets might sound insane but if given the choice I would do it all over again. To me there is just something special about having to go out to experience a new band first. It’s a kind of intimacy that’s lacking today. Now you can go right on iTunes and buy whatever you want and it’s in your iPod instantly. But is it?

1 comment:

  1. I think it is because so many people wanted to become those huge bands that everyone loved. There was so many and some were so good we didnt just focus on one and we began making different types of music. You have your indie, rock, r&b, rap, etc... so many different types which means so many different bands or groups that we can not really just focus on one. This made it so we could just download whatever we wanted. (espically for the one hit wonders since you dont want the whole cd just that one song). I personally like all the options of bands and allowed to go to multiple bands concerts. I enjoy concerts a lot and love music so I enjoy having multiple bands playing instead of just waiting around for one band to come into town.

    ReplyDelete