Friday, October 1, 2010

No, I won't check your box

Why is it that every time I fill out a form theses day it asks me to check certain boxes to complete the form? I really don’t understand why we all still need to check box for race and gender. It’s 2010 and it should not be a question asked of any of us. It’s on everything, job applications, college applications, home loans, car insurance, even to apply for a food shopping card. My getting a job should be only based on whether or not I am the best candidate t for the position being filled. To be accepted at a college should be measured by my ability to perform well at that school and my academic abilities. Home loans should be approved based on my credit history, and being able to handle the amount borrowed. Car insurance based off of statistic that say young male drive crazier than females. I really don’t know why Safeway cares what race and gender I am unless they are tracking my purchases for marketing. I understand that sometimes these questions are asked because the government has special grants, and programs in place for colleges and home loans. I don’t agree with it and if we are supposed to be treated “equally” as far as race and gender, these questions should not exist.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I wouldnt give a rats ass if you were korean trying to work at mcdonalds. If your the best candidate for the job then thats who Im gonna hire. Point blank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing, the main reason why their is a check box is for the census... How do you think people get statistics on which males/ women are getting jobs and such? The point is that people over analyze this and say oh its only because the job is sexist... But really it could just be for statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think they make you do the check box is just to find out who you are not just because you are female being a loader or something just because they want to get a better idea of who you are. Females and males are both horrible drivers and I do not think that one sucks more than the other. It is how you are that you will suck at driving. They just want to know what they will be expecting for that interview or who will be attending their college and who wants to attend their college. etc..

    ReplyDelete