Friday, October 22, 2010

Reality

I am ashamed to admit this, but I am one of those people that have been sucked into watching some "reality" television. Most of it seems too outrageous to be reality. I am not even sure how I get sucked in to watching. I never saw advertising and thought "oh, I really need to make sure I watch that show." I think it is just from flipping through the channel and catching a glimpse of some crazy drama, and I am unable to change the channel. Then, I end up watching wondering why I am still tuned in, and return the following week to see what is going to happen. Most of the time I sit there wondering, why in the world am I watching this insane show. I can't put my finger on why exactly I continue to watch. Sometimes, I become interested in the storyline, but most of the time I want to see what random and insane thing that will happen next. I know I am not the only person who gets sucked in, because new reality show keep popping up all over the place. There seems to be more "reality than "non reality" shows on these days. So, why do we keep tuning in each week. They offer no "Cosby show" endings. In fact, producers of these types of show encourage if not induce more drama to boost ratings. We all like to be voyeurs into other peoples worlds, otherwise these show would not make it for even one episode. I think we get some enjoyment seeing people fight, gossiping about each other, and getting into other sorts of trouble. We like to see how they get themselves in and out of trouble thy seem to bring upon themselves. It is definitely entertaining to watch. These shows will only escalate on the crazy behavior if we keep feeding into their drama and tuning in every week.

1 comment:

  1. Your watching it because its fun and it keeps ya attentioin obviously. Thats the same reason I watch them as well as everyone else. For example, I love love love the real housewives of atlanta and newyork. I dont miss an episode. Theres always a bunch of gossip and arguing and in the reality tv world gossip and arguing sells. It rules

    ReplyDelete