Monday, October 26, 2009

I Loveish You?

What is love? You hear little kids saying “I love you” to mommy and daddy, you hear old married couples proclaim their love to each other. Has our society made this word to easy to say. Using the word love used to take years of courtship. Years of getting to know the person you are with. Now you hear this word thrown around so easily. Why is this? I believe that our society is most to blame for this. As our society has become more, and more promiscuous, the word love has become easier to say. It has become a necessity to say for most relationships. What I don’t understand is how the meaning of love has not changed. People will proclaim “love” and act as though they are in love without taking the time to really analyze it themselves. You see young teens proclaiming their love for each other, and then they are put in a situation where they no longer are able to analyze whether they are in love or not. One example is child birth. The couple then is no longer focused on their relationship and is now focused on raising their kid. Though this is a very extreme example, it is a fact of life. Our society has made love so accessible, that our society no longer analyzes their relationship before proclaiming “love”. I believe this will change when our society starts putting more emphasis on making a connection and taking it slow, giving a couple time to analyze their relationship. The most effective way of doing this would be to cut down’s the media’s promiscuous ideals. Then we will see real change.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this one. People are so quick to say "love ya." Ughhhh What is that? I've known you for 2 weeks and now you love me? I think people do take things way too quickly and do not make a good stable connection. I mean its also hormones going whacky and its more like "I lust you!" I don't get what is happening anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that people use the word to loosely. But I mean how many people really know the meaning of Love anyway? The word love is supposed to show a true commitment to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are a little bit too casual with the word, and frankly I really hate hearing it to early because it totally cheapens it. After my last rocky relationship where I used it all the time, I decided I wasn't ever going to say it again except when I really truly meant it. Luckily, that time came pretty quickly, and I'm with a girl that I can genuinely say that I love and it puts a smile on my face to think about, but it's such a powerful word...

    It shouldn't be used lightly or just to get into someone's panties (or pants!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Heather great post. You hit the issue at its root. In today’s game of trying to "holla" at a girl; things move so rapidly that if in the first week or two you did not sleep or have some type of physical contact with that person you no longer have interest. It’s sad to say but I'm only being blunt about it. But, (with a smiling face), I’m glad that guys are not solely to blame for this. Women also want to feel loved. So much so, that they pressure the guy into saying it when he probably had no intention of saying it. I don’t know if they want to brag to their girlfriends, or maybe it is that their girlfriends all have guys and they don’t have one, so they go out and try to get a guy be all in love with them. Whatever the case, I’m pretty sure we’ve all heard about some girl trying to get a guy to loveish her. And we know this isn’t the case for men, because men are stigmatized as dogs so we really don’t care if a girl loves us or not. Disclaimer: that is not my belief, but one of players

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love does not necessarily need to be a strong word. It is not the word that makes the feeling. Love can simply be a strong feeling towards someone. Why does there need to be a word to describe how some feels. If there is such a great feeling of emotion towards someone then “Love” might not even be enough to say how much someone means to another. When children say they love their parents or when parents say they love their children I believe they truly believe it. Parents have brought these children into the world and have loved it ever since they were born. These children are a part of them and they have no reason not to have very strong feelings towards them. People that say that they are in love when they have “accidental” births are not always wrong. They have created one of the most amazing things that life has to offer. They did it together and no matter what they can not change that. If it takes a child’s birth for two people to say that they love each other than I am all for it.

    ReplyDelete