Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Littering/trashing the planet

I was mountain biking a few weeks ago with one of my old friends (we were in a band in high school - in other words - a long time ago ). I hadn’t seen this kid for months, so we decided mountain biking would be good times. I brought a backpack that had an energy bar, and a few bottles of water in it. My old friend brought a glass bottle (Kombucha) with him and no backpack. After we got up the biggest hill we were going to do for the day, we took a break to catch our breath and drink our drinks. As he finished his Kombucha, he told me he would be right back and that he was going to throw the bottle down the hill we just climbed. I told him not to do this, and to just put the glass bottle in my backpack, then I could deal with it later. He flat out refused to do this - for whatever reason - he was set on littering the bottle on the land we had been riding on (me and my other friends always thought he wasn’t right in the head). As he was walking away I kept pleading with him to give me the bottle. He ignored me and threw the bottle down the hill, where we both heard it shatter. I try my best to be “green”, so when he did this, it made me super pissed off.
After the ride was done, we parted ways (he just joined the Navy, so I’m probably never going to see him again) and I was left wondering why the hell people litter, especially when there are trashcans right next to them (in his case - it was a backpack). Now I'm not claiming to have never littered, but it has been a very long time since I have, so I just can't comprehend it anymore. I know some companies litter to save money and time (time is money, right?), but I'm asking about individuals. Is it out of sheet laziness? Or is it that people don’t think they make a difference in the world (good or bad)? Do they not realize when they litter - they’re trashing the only home they have? I just don’t get it…anyone have any ideas??

4 comments:

  1. I’m not going lie I littered this morning it was a gum wrapper that I threw out the window. I get pissed when there’s trash in my car so I have a habit of throwing small things like that out the window but I don’t understand either if there’s a trash can next to you why would you litter. I guess some people don’t see the later effect on this planet with littering. My dad litters all the time and it pisses me off I know your think wow she’s a hypocrite but he throws like big piece of paper and stuff and that makes me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha no worries - at least you acknowledge littering is a problem. Just try not to litter anymore! Even the small things add up to the big problem. Maybe keep a trash bag in your car or something? Or if it's really small - just put it in your pocket? I used to throw cigarette butts out the window back when i smoked, but after a while i just started putting them in the ashtray in the car. Yea my car smelled like an ashtray for the longest time - but i was a smoker there no reason to hide it - even if it did smell real bad! it was only temporary cause i dont think it smells anymore.
    Anyway - yeah my car has lots of trash in it (mostly papers and plastic. no food - thats just gross) but i try to clean it out everytime i fill up my car with gas. Also - having a father or mother that litters will definitely make it so you are more inclined to litter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel very strongly about it too when people litter. When people are in my car and roll down the window I say "HEY you better not throw anything out my window!" I think people are lazy or recycling is too much of a pain. I think people or at least people I have talked to say "that's someone's job to pick up trash." That shit pisses me off and I have no suggestions on how to prevent this because even around campus there are the blue recycle things and I still see dumb asses throwing recycleables away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that i litter. I really try not to, but whne there is trash in my car i just can't stand it an dhave to get rid of it even if it means leaving right outside on the ground. I beleive that being green needs to be spread around more. i beleive if every one really knew the facts and see how polluation is ruining our planet we would have some people do better with not litering and permoting haleathier planet.

    ReplyDelete