Friday, November 19, 2010

Consumer Craze

The holidays are a stressful time for almost all of us. Whether you wait until the last minute to do all your shopping, or you start when the stores are trying to lure you in to start your shopping in October. I was shopping with my three kids’ ages 6, 7, and 9, in Costco a few weeks before Halloween; the kids asked why the stores already had Christmas trees and decorations up. I really didn’t know what to tell them except it all boils down to the all mighty dollar. Then they wanted to know why we just can’t celebrate one holiday before they set up decoration for the next holiday. The stores have us shopping for holidays that are three or four months away. We spoke in class recently about how our county is a country that economy is dependent on consumers. I am just as guilt as everyone else wanting the coolest gadget that came out. However, marketing to Christmas shoppers in October seems a little over board. Yet we must fall for it, and buy more every year for the stores to market to us earlier each year. I will not be shocked if I walk into a store to return some ugly sweater after Christmas and I’m sure I will see Easter decorations up. This just solidifies to me that we are definitely a society that is very much dependant on consumers spending as much as possible. Who know maybe this year after the holidays we will know if our recession is almost over. It is sad to think that our economy and job growth will be determined by the success of this year’s Christmas shopping. Perhaps I shouldn’t complain about the stores marketing us months before holidays if it allows people to have jobs and security.

3 comments:

  1. I understand where you are coming from but I believe it is because we want to spread out the time to not just go in at the last minute and spend all of your money all at once. Giving more time on shopping for xmas or Hanukkah will allow consumers to say what they do need and return what they do not need. I think it is stupid that we put out Christmas stuff out before november even ends. Target did it and I thought it was stupid but thought more into it and I believe it is just for that reason to allow consumers to figure out what they need to get and how much they need to save and not spend money at the last minute because they are so rushed they do not know what they have done until after they have given their presents all spent all of their money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From an economic stand point, I guess it is good that more people are shopping again. But after seeing videos of people getting trampled in the stampedes of black friday, I am again convinced that our consumerism is one of out bigger problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well they have it out so that people can get a head start and so they can make money money money! They win, you win, well all win. Isnt that what we want?

    ReplyDelete