Thursday, November 11, 2010

Protesting at Military Funerals


Imagine getting a phone call that your father/mother/brother/sister/relative/friend/coworker has just died in Afghanistan serving their country. Now take that feeling, and imagine the feeling you would get if when you arrived to mourn the loss of your loved one(s), and you saw protesters with signs that read; "Thank God for a Dead Soldier", "God Hates You", "Thank God for IEDs."

Now I don't know about you, but if someone did that at a funeral for someone close to me, there would probably be some fists being thrown. Now, I agree that people have a right to voice their own opinion, but there is a time and there is a place. A funeral is not one of those places.

The reason these protesters do it is: (I do NOT agree with these for the record)

1. "God Hates Homosexuality"
2. The United States of America allows homosexuals to live in the States
3. Our soldiers fight and defend the freedom of homosexuals (and the rights and freedoms of protesters)
4. ??????
5. Protesters hate our soldiers

I think I speak for a good majority of people when I say this is just downright absurd. A group by the name of the Patriot Guard Riders was formed in Kansas after a motorcycle club could not tolerate the Kansas-based fundamentalist church demonstrating at military funerals. They ride from funeral to funeral, revving their engines and giving heartfelt applauses in front of the protesters and wave giant American flags to block them out.

If I had any power in this, I would spread the word across the nation, and encourage others to join in with these ex-veterans and help rid our soldiers and their families of the additional heartache these protesters bring with them.

God Bless America, and happy late Veteran's day to all of you vets and families who support them!

6 comments:

  1. I agree and when I see and read the news about this group that travels around to these funeral it just makes me so angry. Do they really think God would approve of their actions. I really don't understand their fundmentalist beliefs. How can anyone behave and think this is appropriate behavior? I agree if I was at a loved ones funeral and these people were there, I wouldn't be able to keep my hands to my self with them yelling and holding up signs protesting the life of the individual I am mourning. It's just sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love ignorant people in which don't care about other feelings. I agree completely in which there has to be a limit on what you can say when it involves hate full words. This freedom of speech controversy is in the supreme court and is going to be very interesting to see what they rule. I hope they rule it unconstitutional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that this group thinks that protesting a military funeral is disgusting. The fact that they do it for an unrelated cause to the funeral is even more disgusting. Its sad that we live in a society where people think that they need to go to such hateful actions to get their points across. Hopefully one day we will all be able to finally accept people for their differences and still embrace them as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Westboro Baptist Church (the jerks behind these protests) are one of the worst organizations in this country. The founder, Fred Phelps, was a civil rights lawyer in the 60's. He is very familiar with the law and knows exactly what lines he legally can cross while still being extremely offensive. His family makes a killing in lawsuits, as they get assaulted at many of their protests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is crazy i never knew people would do that. They have some serious guts that is horrible. If someone did that and my family and i were there, i can almost bet my savings that my family would start throwing fists. if they wanted to get their point across there is a right tine and place for that behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I hate these people who think that they have a right to disturb a fallen soldier funeral.. Honestly I really wish congress would have some common sense and make a law that bands the interruption of funerals. It's absolutely absurd that people say that it goes against the constitution to make it illegal. they honestly think that the constitution is a perfect document and that what it says is final... The fact that the constitution had to be amended to get rid of slavery is proof enough that it isn't a perfect document. People stop being jack asses and stop protesting fallen soldiers funerals.

    ReplyDelete