Saturday, November 13, 2010

Know No Failure

While going to college remains one of the American dreams, for some its impossible to do. I love going to college. Its liberating for me. It says to that I care about my future. That I want to be more than the one flipping burgers or ringing up someone elses pricey clothes because I cant afford any of my own. All of my friends at some point or another went to college or started. Some finished, some became so occupied with making the little bit of money they were and dropped out. Example, my cousin Devon. Devon was attending Baltimore city community college on the Gamble T. Woods scholarship. If he could keep his gpa at a 3.0 for 2 years, the next two years would be paid for at any college that he chose! He wanted to go to Drexel. However, he got a job at FedEx and ultimately dropped out. Now he manages a Taco Bell and wishes he would have stayed in school. College is hard. Its hard for me, its hard for you, I'm sure it was hard for Ms. Grutzmacher, our teacher who has a PhD (whoop whoop), for my doctor...for my boyfriend's mom who's a registered nurse who just got a promotion at work for all of her hard work and dedication to her patients. Just because something is hard doesnt warrant not finishing it. It gives off the impression to future employers that you can finish anything you started and now you've screwed yourself. Not only did you flunk out of college but you can't even get a decent job. Hows that for heartache? Im encouraging everyone to finish. Your life depends on it.

6 comments:

  1. I am half inclined to agree with you, but the iron hand of circumstance often makes college an unachievable goal for many. Some people manage to graduate high school without having learned anything that will benefit them in college. I am also not sure if I am comfortable saying that everyone should have to submit to a) an institution that they do not like, and b) a system that judges them based on their performance in this institution. "Good jobs" and success in this country are just social constructs. I personally have more respect for the guy who fixed my car than I do for the business major who made a pyramid scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to see people waste wonderful opportunities. I suppose that is because I learned the hard way. My parents paid for my college the first time around. I chose instead to enjoy my new found freedom, majored in parties, boys, and beer. That is my biggest regret. Now I have to work full time, go to school, and be a mom. While I do appreciate my education now, I wish I had done it earlier in life. I feel such guilt going to school at night, and leaving my daughter. I know she would much rather me stay with her and it breaks my heart. Hopefully when she is older she will understand that I did it for her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. College is hard. It's only going to get harder though. Come to think of it, we're only in community college. It's sad hearing about people dropping out; living a miserable a life. However, in our current economy, even if we do finish college, it can still be difficult to find a job! How frustrating is that...
    I must say that I wish everyone good look even if they DO finish college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. College without a doubt will open doors that would previously not be available and I wish that everyone would have the chance to attend. Unfortunately that is not the case for a lot of the country and even more so now with the financial crisis most families are in and the rise in tuition prices. Your cousin chose to leave college but at any point, even still, could go back and take a class. Whether it be in the classroom or online its still attainable. I think that maybe for some people, school just isnt for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yea... school is super important.. it make to u longer then u expected and it might not be everything u expected but it will pay off in the long run. as long as you remember where you tryin to get and remember what you do it for youll have the motivation to keep going... once you quit on thing quitting just get easier and easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. College is hard, but it has become a prerequisite In today's America. It's getting harder and harder to find low level, non managerial job positions without some sort of college education. As I have said before, higher education should be a right, not a privilege in our society. If we don't give people the tools to succeed, or make those tools too costly to acquire, how can we expect them to succeed? Also, don't discount trade schools. I personally know a plumber who owns his own truck and makes WELL into six figures.

    ReplyDelete