Friday, November 12, 2010

Every Vote Should Count

Voting is a such a great privilege in our country. I know there are many countries that do not have such a great democratic system in place. I realize how lucky we are to be able to freely vote for which ever candidate we think will carry out the things we feel are important to us individually. I do, however have a one compliant about the electoral process. I don't like how the primaries are currently done. The current way that it is set up is that different parts of the country vote different days. This basically has our choices narrowed down by the time it is our time to vote in the presidential primaries in Maryland. Other states have held their election before ours. While I may support another canidentt my vote may already be considered useless the way the system is set up now. The choice had been determned already, and the person I was going to vote for originally would not have enough votes to win the bid to become president. I could still vote for person I originally planned on, but if anyone remembers that by the time all of us got a chance to vote in the primaries for Maryland our two real choice for either party to choose from was Barrack Obama, or John McCain. I felt as though my hands were tied by having my choices taken away. One day, I hope that this system is changed and everyone votes on the same day just like any other election. I don't know why it is held this way, but my hope is that way everyone in the country has a say in who they believe should move forward in the election process.

No comments:

Post a Comment