Friday, November 5, 2010

Facebook as a diary?

Why do some people treat Facebook as a diary? I remember a time when people treated diary’s like they were secrets of national importance, guarded and locked up in a drawer somewhere. Now people are so open with their inner thoughts and desires out in the open on Facebook. It seems to be some sort of attention whoring and maybe even a little self loathing to me. People put up so much meaningless stuff that they think others must care about. I might share a little interest in your morning commute if i saw it once but everyday? Really? What about the dinner that you just prepared? I still don't care. This though is sadly just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the worst Facebook updates. What about If you just caught your spouse cheating on you Facebook might not be the best place to share this. Unfortunately people will comment on this behavior in a positive way and it seems to just perpetuate this behavior. Your Facebook friends might not be liscienced or certified to help you out. Do you really want 85% of you “friends”, that you don’t talk too,do you really want them to know your personal business? I hope not. So the next time your pal Facebook wants to know what’s on your mind, remember, no one really cares when you make it all about you. So, invest in paper, pens, and a sock drawer to stuff it.

6 comments:

  1. Facebook is a new social paradigm, that many people are taking some adjusting to it. As you mentioned in the past, people have kept their secrets to themselves and in many incidents rejoiced and suffered in silence. Days that were special were shared only with a small circle of family and friends and now with Facebook it allows for more people to take part in your good days. Many people only use facebook for "good news" although I have seen several death notices on facebook. I think facebook like any new technology, TVs, planes, cell phones take some getting use to for many people. Some people mainly the youth embrace the change and older generation take longer time to adapt to the change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I really don't want to know the dirty details of a failed relationship, or know everything your child does. I usually hide those people or delete them. I also won't just accept a "friend request" I have to really know you or it probably won't happen. The personal thing people write about shocks me sometimes. Don't get me wrong I love facebook and reconnecting with people that I have lost touch with over the years. I like to read the status updates of friends that write some funny comments. Overall it helps me stay connected with my life becoming so busy lately. However, some people do need to get a therapist or a diary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail right on the head. Facebook is a social network, not a diary/shoulder to cry on. It's so annoying to log onto facebook and see someone talking shit about someone or complaining about something that is simply ridiculous... you know, what's the point? Who wakes up and decides "I'm going to share my entire life story to friends I barely know!"
    Of course, we could always just delete those friends off our list...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Facebook is strange. I try to limit how much personal information I share on there. I have something like 500 friends on facebook. There is no way I wan't all of them to know every specific detail in my life. Also, it creeps me out that any stranger could read someones profile and pretend to like all the same things so they can appear to be similar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never understood how people could put their personal information on facebook! What ever happened to keeping somethings for yourself. Every body and their damn momma gets on fb and can see all ya damn business. Why put yourself out there like that? I have a cousin who does that and everytime she does, I get on her. One would think she'd learn her lesson but she didnt. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its crazy how people be doing that... like what could posses someone to do that? put out all your stuff and then complain bout how everybody in ur business and how they need to keep their mouths shut. your inviting them to mess with u... but what you shouda talked about for real, was facebook beefs and how crazy twitter is getting

    ReplyDelete