Friday, November 12, 2010

What Would You Do?

There is a show that I watch on Friday nights called What Would You Do?  It is a show about mock scenarios in public involving conflict and hidden cameras and actors are hired to create the conflict to see what bystanders would do in any given situation.  It looks to see if people would step up or step in and correct a wrong or would they simply ignore it and walk away.  Many scenarios involved women being verbally abused by men or situations involving fraud or theft.  It then takes the percentage of people who step in and compare it to those who do nothing.  They interview the people that step in to see why then did what they did.  As I watch the show I ask myself what would I do.  If I saw a man verbally abusing a woman in public, is the right thing to do is to say something or should you just mind your own business. This world is so crazy that when you step into people conflict you risk getting killed or hurt.   But on the other hand you want to help people in need and not see someone harmed.

Conflict in public like seeing a person steal something and being face with reporting them or not are always hard decisions.  Every day we see things such as people being discriminated against or women being harmed on the news and we wonder what we would do if we are in that situation.  The world has become more and more dangerous and sometimes when you intervene you may become a victim.  But the bottom line is what is the right thing to do.  If you ask yourself that and move on that you will end up doing the right thing even if you are harmed.  When it comes to kids on the show, the numbers are much higher for people wanting to get involved.  With the recent move to stop bullying in school, people are becoming more aware of name calling and fighting.  We must take this same prevention in our work place, the parks and other places in public.  This will create a safer environment for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen the show you are referring to. It's quite interesting examining what people do in given circumstances. In this current time, it takes quite a bit of courage to stand up for someone you do not know in any given circumstance. So you have to ask yourself, do you have enough courage to stand up for someone you do not know? I have to say I have before. I was not alone, and that could have made a considerable difference. My friend Steve and I stood up to a guy picking on another guy. There is strength in numbers, let me tell you. My friend and I are not body builders, let me tell you...
    but the number ratio quickly comes into play. At first, it's two against one, standing up against the bully. But when the victim realizes he's being helped, the number then becomes 3 to 1. Who's going to try to mess with 3 people alone? Strength in numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what would i do? i kno exactly what i would do. i kno how crazy the world is and how crazy all the peoplke living in it are but when i see something like that i cant help but do something about it.. if i dont i just dont feel right

    ReplyDelete