Friday, November 19, 2010

TSA Full Body Scans


As we enter the holiday season, there’s been a lot of chatter about TSA’s new body scanning systems, which reveal objects that may be hidden underneath items of clothing. I’ve been through airport security many times in the past, and given my tan skin and freakishly large eyes, an invisible sign that says “terrorist” always seems to reveal itself at the top of my forehead in bold red ink to airport security. I’ve been interrogated in customs, had three pairs of bomb-free-shoes and even a weapon, which I like to call “eyeliner,” confiscated. Personally, I was thrilled to hear about these new systems being added to airports and would even give an evil chuckle to myself as I would hear others speak, worried about their right to privacy being taken away. I felt as if somehow I’d been wronged and now everyone else would have their turn to be equally violated and treated like a suspect. All of that changed when I was listening to the Kane Show the other morning, a D.C. radio talk show, as they spoke of just how revealing the TSA systems can be. Now don’t think for a minute that my evil thoughts had instantly turned around, oh no, but now I had new worries. Thanks to the underwear bomber, and many previous foes, the TSA machines have been made to detect objects through undergarments and deep inside crevices. How does this affect me and other women out there? Other than the fact that Tampax will no longer be our monthly friend, this “fuse looking” helper could easily be mistaken for a bomb. As if cramps weren’t enough to complain about, here you are girls, another reason to curse that unwanted monthly cycle that always seems to come at the very worst of times! I think the best ending for this post would be.. FML!

4 comments:

  1. I agree it is very uncomfortable thinking someone is seeing you in any kind of naked image. Many say it is for the sake of security, however we travel and be in public in many places without these security measures, so it is a false sense of protection. Terrorist don't only attack airplanes. In the future can we expect to be scanned in going to the mall or to work, and then what if the images start to get out and associated with people that would be very embarrassing. I agree with behavior profiling people who appear to be dangerous and leaving the innocent people alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tsa is under pressure to provide security and come out with new technologies that aren't to revealing. The point is there is no way of knowing what is to much when it is simply working, we haven't had a terrorist attack in 10 years. So is the TSA doing a good job absolutely but what is to much? I believe you have an option to go through a body scan, or pat down. They have come out with new technology which isn't to revealing as well. Arrive safely or be embarrassed for few seconds? In my opinion i choose my family arriving safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i understand that Tsa is trying to fix some of the security problems and i dont think that its a bad thing. If it keeps me safe and my family safe then i am okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trading safety for freedom is an irreversible trend. Being humiliated and having your junk splayed out on a television screen for a stranger to gawk at is unnecessary. I understand that I don't have to fly, and I don't, but we are trading freedoms for the sense of safety. Everyone has the right to be safe, but to have invasive body scans and intrusive feel ups for the sake of safety is unconstitutional, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete