Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"bad doll","good doll' Which one is which?

I think we all remember the “black doll white doll video”, that was a true story based on a research done in by Kenneth Cole in 1954. Fifty years later a high school student Kiri Davis decided to make a documentary film to see what has changed since, and it is sad to say: “not much has changed”
Black people experienced segregation by whites, which contributed to a certain extent, to the low self esteem of black especially black women, but let’s be “real”, black women are degraded by black men, more than any other. if you don’t believe me, listen to most of the current Hip-Hop, e.g. 50 Cent “P.I.M.P” he goes: “Man this hoe you can have her. When I’m done I ain’t gonna keep her. Man, bitches come and go, every night…” black women are objectified and demonized by black men. Before we start blaming white for all that’s wrong with us, let’s correct what’s wrong with us. Let’s self love then we can instill self love, self esteem to our children. I realize that the society plays it part in this, but parent are the first to socialize children and they play a bigger role. Children should be socialized between the ages of 2-4 to understand culture and skin color, mothers can educate their daughters and instilling pride about their heritage and make it high priority around the home, teach their son to be respectful of women.
I am hopeful that one day there will not be “ bad” or “good” doll, but instead, there will be will both “good dolls”, I challenge you; let’s change one beautiful black girl at the time and let’s move on.I am not saying that racism is a thing of fiction but we have much bigger issues at hand that we need to face as Humans and as a society.

No comments:

Post a Comment