Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stereotyping is everywhere

So the other day I was in a store with my mom at the mall. I picked up something and looked at it and I noticed that a man was keeping a very close watch on me. I began to think that I was only being watched because I was a teenager or how I dressed. This made me think of a time that I was in a supermarket and I picked up a magazine. I was about twelve years old and I remember a security guard telling me to not walk off with the magazine. I was shocked when I heard this because there was an older lady that had a magazine and he said nothing at all to her. At that time I thought about what I was doing. Was I acting suspicious? Was I putting my hands in my pockets? I had no idea. So what I did was put down the magazine, ignored her and walked off. I thought this was the right thing to do because I was not doing anything wrong and being embarrassed like that was not worth reading some dumb magazine. I told my mom about this and she began to tell me how they watch for kids like me because we are known to steal more than grown ups. Now, I realize today that people can be very prejudice about many things. They might not mean to be, and are just doing there job, but they should do so in a much better way. After watching the movie with the kids and eye color, This made me think of this incident for some reason. I thought to myself how people are very prejudice all the time, even excluding skin color.

3 comments:

  1. Yea the same thing happened to me I went to the mall and the guy in there was following me around there were a bunch of other kids but he’s wasn’t like stalking them. I think it was because of my skin color but I felt like it was wrong and I just left the store. There are always things like racism and stereotyping that’s going be around everywhere but us as humans we have to look past that and better ourselves and not be like those people. It is messed up how people are like that and judge you on the color of your skin or ethnicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That happened to me to. I was in the mall shopping for my birthday dress in this one store and this guy literally was following me around the store... I wanted to be like "look sir I can afford everything in this store so i'm not going to steal your shit" but i got so irritated i just left. Some people are just over parinoid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother is right. Kids are more likely to steal than grownups. They have a more rebellious attitude than the mature attitudes of adults. Kids stealing in stores are not as common as it used to be. When I was in middle school stealing from the local grocery store was the coolest thing to do. Small items like gum packets or small cigars were the hot item. I didn’t even like the cigars but helped my friends steal them as a way of rebellion. It was also something to do. Hanging out around the neighborhood just got boring. So we would end up going to Food Lion to find a new thing to steal. It was an exciting rush that got our rebellious sides out. Lately, store clerks are being a lot stricter about kids stealing. They are constantly looking for perps to catch. Stereotyping does have a little to do with it because some kids have been caught stealing more than others. It is the bias way of living that all of us endure.

    ReplyDelete