Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cultural Proficiency

Have we accepted that we have to live with people of other cultures in america yet? I feel that some americans find it hard to deal with different cultures. I think other cultures find it hard to deal with american culture as well, Im not sure. But i am sure that different cultures have different "norms". What we see as out of the "norm", others may not, and I believe this causes for some americans to judge and or stereotype other cultures. I see this at work, shopping, and neighborhoods. Where some americans might find it hard to adjust to what are other cultures "norms". Using myself as an example, I find things such as not speaking when being greeted, not saying excuse me when bumping into someone, not offering friendly gestures, etc. as rude. However, this may be considered the "norm" for someone of another culture, and not rude. I can recall times discussing with others that someone of another culture was rude or disrespectful, because of such things. I've also seen and heard others judge and ridicule another culture, because of what is normal to them. My workplace is where I have observed this a lot! Where my co-workers frequently are stereotyping someone because of their cultural. This has made me wonder if all employers should offer workshops on cultural proficiency. I believe that with so much cultural diversity in America now, it may be a good idea. Maybe this could be a requirement for customer and public service offices. Could this help Americans and individuals of other cultures learn strategies for accepting another cultures "norms"? Could it help us get a better understanding of the way other countries cultures differ? Would it help us with our judgements of others "norms" which are not always exactly NORMAL to us?

1 comment:

  1. Living outside the US is great way to get accustomed to other cultures besides your own. I lived in Germany for four years and when I initially arrived, many of the culture differences were annoying, even if they were minor. However, after a while, I got used to many of them and even started to see the usefulness is many.

    In fact I got so used to some of these practices that I started to miss them when I returned to the US. For example, people don't pass in the right lane on the Autobahn (the German interstate) and it's pretty insulting if you do. Since I've returned to the US, passing in the right lane on the interstate drives me nuts, when I didn't really mind it before I lived in Germany.

    It's unfortunate that a lot of people approach different cultures with apprehension and are so accustomed to their own that they can't see the merits of different cultural practices.

    ReplyDelete