Monday, September 7, 2009

Who gives you the right??

This nation has strict policies on speeding. Each state has various consequences for speeding but each state has speed limits. Police officers are the enforcers of these speed limits. If you go over the limit, then you’ll receive a ticket for it. Tickets are huge pains in the ass. You have to appear in court, pay a fine, worry that points may be added to your driving record, etc. Everyone hates getting speeding tickets. I hate getting speeding tickets. But there is one thing that I hate more than getting speeding tickets. I hate when police officers think they have the right to speed whenever they please. Speed limits on roads are there to protect people by regulating safe driving limits. So how can a police officer claim to PROTECT and serve? There is not one person who has not seen a police cruiser fly by them. Yes sometimes it is necessary for a police officer to speed but that usually entails an emergency and the police officer uses its lights and sirens to warn other drivers that there is an emergency that needs to be tended to. There is no reason for a police cruiser to speed when there is no emergency. Do they get punished for speeding? No.
One day I was driving down the highway and noticed a police cruiser coming up from behind me. I was going around 70 mph on a 65 mph highway. I pull into the right lane and the cruiser flies right by me going probably close to 80 or 85. As I get pissed and think that its bullshit that he has the right to speed, I decide to speed as well. I pick up speed to around 75 or 80 and just as I do so, I see that same cruiser pulled over on the side of the road running radar. I get pulled over for going 77 when he flew by me going closer to 85!! Seriously, who gives you the right?

1 comment:

  1. So true Matthew. It's very ironic, the police will pull you over for speeding and then lecture you about how it is unsafe and is putting you and others on the road at risk. After the lecture they write you a 200 dollar ticket, and speed off. One could argue that the police have better driving skills than your average driver because I believe they take advanced driver courses. I can see that as an excuse they would use. However, if you took the same course would you be able to speed like them? I think not ;)

    I read about a cop who killed a girl crossing the street at night, he was doing something like 80 mph in a 35 zone. He was apparently speeding after a stolen car but he didn't have his lights on cus he was trying to 'sneak up' on the guy or something. I thought the cop was going to get off, like they normally do. But he's in jail now.

    ReplyDelete