Monday, September 7, 2009

Whats the deal with weed?

So the other day me and my friends were just hanging out just having a good time and we stared to wonder out of many times we have wondered, "Why is Weed Illegal?". All of us came up with some thoughts to share, but no one knew the correct answer to why it is in fact illegal. The one reason that it is illegal is because it is perceived to be harmful. Half-baked, Friday, Friday after the next, How High, Pineapple express and Cheech and Chong are all movies that revolve around the culture of smoking marijuana. I started to think if there were any comedy movies out there that influence the use of heroin, crack, cocaine or any other insane drugs. The answer is no, making the point that marijuana is not all that dangerous. People think it’s dangerous when they never look at how dangerous alcohol is. If you drink a lot, you may be in risk of getting alcohol poisoning, but if you smoke too much weed, you’ll just simply fall asleep. Also, it’s just a plant, it’s grown, and simply picked out of the ground and unlike tobacco, it has one ingredient, THC. So we were still wondering, why is it illegal. One of my friends said that the reason is because the government cannot tax it, but then we realized that tobacco can, and that if weed was legal it could be taxed just like tobacco. The government could be making so much money off of marijuana, but if they made it legal cops would be so bored, especially in Howard County. In health class years ago my teacher said that marijuana is a gateway drug and can lead to others, when in reality this statement is crap. Somehow throughout high school I managed not to become a crack head and I still would never mess with anything like crack or cocaine. Although no one really knows why it is illegal, it is, and it’s not going to be legalized any time soon.

4 comments:

  1. You can thank the Dupont Co. for this. They started making paper out of trees instead of hemp, which was used before (even the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper). You ever see any dollar bills that have a 'talking bubble' above George Washington's head saying "I Grew Hemp"?
    You can also thank the racist politicians of the early 20th century. Most of the drug laws are a direct result racism. Opium, a flower(and medicine) just like marijuana, was also made illegal cause of racism. Blacks and latinos were known pot smokers, while Chinese smoked opium. It's sad how backwards "the land of freedom" really is. I can't grow these plants in my backyard, but I can goto the pharmacy and get synthetic drugs derived from both of these plants for only a few hundred dollars? Sounds like a big scam to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that same discussion with all my friends to. I feel the government would make so much money if they taxed weed. I think its illegal because not everyone has the same reaction when they are on weed. While most people have that chilled out reaction there are some people who act a fool when they are high. I have a friend who just acts retarted when he is bent and if they made weed legal he could blame and law he broke on smoking weed..because trust me he acts so stupid. I feel like thats probably a main reaosn is people could use it as a excuse for something stupid they did liek with drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not well versed in this topic. I can understand why both sides of the debate want to hold firm to their beliefs. In a society that is trying to promote itself as being cutting edge and innovative, it would be hard in showing the average citizen as a "pothead." I mean lets call a spade a spade. The reason for the prohibitionist movement was to stop widespread, rampant drinking. People were drinking themselves into uncontrollable drunken stupors. So the government had to step in to set limits in age and other alcohol-related laws. If there wasn't one thing we didn't here all semester from Ken, it't that the government isn't doing enough for its people. Well when it actually does do something it is underappreciated. It may not be what you like, but the illegalization of weed in my estimation is to prevent the same type of culture that was present pre-prohibiton. But for the potheads, I can see that they want to justify that smoking weed only makes you drowsy, hungry, and just mellow. Only in America, can you have a ridiculous discussion. Do you think this discussion is going on in any other country? And if you say that that country allows for weed smoking, look at some of the other areas that country and what sets them apart from ours. And don't say that its because of the weed-smoking that they are better than us.

    ReplyDelete