Monday, September 7, 2009

What is wrong here???

I want to know why people find celebrities lives way more important to follow than the news that is going on in our world today. It really pisses me off that people are tuning in more to these reality shows Mtv cribs, rock of love, the biographies of so and so, rather than watching the news and learning about what is happening with us. I guess maybe it is more glamorous and filled with drama to watch these rich people buy ridiculously lavish things, or this one is cheating on that one, or this girl is now a lesbian. Who freaking cares! These things happen on a regular basis and I just really do not understand the obsession with these celebrities. Next thing you know people are following John and Kate’s split like as though it were a presidential debate that could change something. I think that some people live in a fantasy world and feel like maybe by following these celebrities dramatic lives it gives them something to look forward to because they may be lacking in their own lives. Look at it like this the next time you go over a friend’s house take a look at what is on the coffee table. My guess is most likely filled with People magazine and Us Weekly more so than Time and US News and World report magazines. It also could be a way that people can hide from the reality of what’s really going on in the world. I often think of how different it was back in the day when there was no television, no internet that people could consume their lives with other people’s problems rather than the reality of the problems that we face as a society. I feel as time goes on people become consumed with these celebrity lives rather than being educated and in tune with what is happening in our society. I wish we could go back to when simpler times when people didn’t care so much about sensationalism.

1 comment:

  1. Although listening to the news makes me look like a dork, I would agree with your statement. I couldn’t care less about the stars and who their dating. I think shows like tmz and other celebrity news shows are so dumb because I simply do not care at all. I would actually like to learn something that’s happening in the world then to waste my time hearing about how many adopted kids Angelina Jolie has. However a lot of people are obsessed with celebrity gossip and I think that this is ridiculous. Some people are just dumb because they do this and should watch the news every once in a while to carry on a conversation with a normal person.

    ReplyDelete