Monday, September 7, 2009

False Impressions

Many people do not understand what they say may hurt other people. I work with specail needs children with a range of disabilities and I see this everyday working with my students. Everytime I take my children out of their classroom into the so called" norm classroom" with "normal children" my children with disabilities are made fun of, looked at weird, and are casted out. People my ask why? or the children may not know and are to innocent to understand this? Yes i did agree with this, but when taking my students out, aduts, who we may think know better, do the same things that these young children in classrooms do. They will look at my students with weird expressions or laugh at them when they do something that may be "weird". My students are not different than any one else. They have feelings just like everyone else and yes they may not releieze that they are being made fun of, but people or parents of these children do understand.
When taking a couple of my students who are autisitc to the circus a woman had enough audacity to ask me to move my children because they were standing up moving and jumping. Yes, i know that child with the parent had the right to enjoy the show without my kids in his way. But, the way this woman asked was not necessary. She could of polietly asked me if there was a way I could have switched seats with them so her child could see. They paid money just like we did to see the circus. I tried to explain to the woman that my children were autisitc and when they are happy they may stim by jumping up and down or sceaming. She just looked at me and then proceeed again to ask if I would move into a different section of the arena. The way she looked at me saying this was in such a way that my children were not allwowed to be there because they had a disability. Why couldn't the woman just asked polietly or just listen to what i was saying. This was not the first time this has happened to me with my students out in society.
We take our children out in society so they can learn life skills. When made fun of, it doesnt let our children learn these skills it only puts them down. So my question why do people judge before getting to know my students? My students are just as smart as any other children. Yes, they may learn at different speed or just learn differently in general, but they play just like so called normal children play, they eat, they communicate, and most of all they have feelings to.

No comments:

Post a Comment